sports volleyball

Volleyball team upsets No. 10 Michigan State

For the first time since 2010, the IU volleyball team knocked off the No. 10 Michigan State Spartans on Saturday in five sets (25-17, 18-25, 25-20, 21-25, 15-12).

It was the first win in conference play this year for the Hoosiers, who improve to 9-12 and 1-9 in the Big Ten.

“It felt like it was going to happen at some point,” IU senior outside hitter Jordan Haverly said. “It’s a big breakthrough, and everyone is just so happy, especially since they are a top 10 team.”

With the win, IU breaks its 11-match losing streak and gives the team a good place to start heading into the second half of Big Ten play.

“It was really exciting,” IU Coach Sherry Dunbar said. “We knew we just needed a break. We’d been practicing really well. We’d been competing at a high level. We just needed to find a way to win. It’s a signature win.”

IU was led by Haverly, who had a season-high 19 kills and added eight digs and an ace. Junior middle blocker Morgan Leach also had 15 kills for the Hoosiers.

Senior libero Caitlin Hansen led the team in digs with 22. Freshman defensive specialist Taylor Lebo added 17. Freshman setter Megan Tallman had a team-high 52
assists.

“Jordan had one of her best nights of the season, and we needed her to,” Dunbar said. “Caitlin Hansen looked just steady the entire night: 22 digs, passed well, served really well and was a great leader on the court.”

A key for the Hoosiers was getting out to a fast start. Haverly said it was something they focused on in practice all week, and it showed as the team stormed out to first, a 8-1 lead and then a 16-8 lead to easily win the first set.

“It was key,” Hansen said. “That set was crucial for us. It gave us momentum.”

Michigan State (17-5, 6-4) was led by senior Lauren Wicinski, who had 16 kills and eight digs. Junior Kori Moster had a team-high 19 digs, and senior Kristen Kelsay led the Spartans in assists with 27.

“We are fighters,” Hansen said. “We are going to work hard and not give up. If we keep having a positive mindset and the will to win, we can beat anyone. We needed that win.”

Something the team had been working on that Dunbar has stressed over the last few games was the need to reduce hitting errors. Numerous players said they were pleased with how they did, and it showed on the court.

“Tonight we really focused on cutting down on unforced errors,” Haverly said. “We just followed the game plan we had set up.”

Another good sign for the Hoosiers was how well Haverly played. After having a slight down period, she bounced back against MSU.

“It felt really good to be able to play like I know I can,” Haverly said. “I know that I haven’t been playing up to my potential the last few matches, and it’s been really frustrating.”

Follow reporter Andrew Vailliencourt on Twitter @AndrewVcourt.