Need to store your stuff?

You’re getting ready to leave town for the summer. But what do you do with all that stuff?

While some students decide to haul it home, many will opt to stash belongings in one of many storage facilities in Bloomington.

Julie Aton, owner of Aton’s Self Storage in Columbus, Ind., shared some tips for students seeking to rent a storage unit.

Don’t just choose the closest storage facility
Most people select the closest facility for the sake of convenience, but Aton said for summer storage, that might not be the best choice.

“It would be important for someone who would be making frequent trips to the storage unit,” she said, adding that most students renting a storage space make only a few trips between their dorm or apartment and the storage facility.

Visit the facility beforehand
“The staff should be professional, courteous and ac-cessible,” Aton said. “Ideally, you should look for a facility that is fully fenced with a computerized access gate and surveillance cameras and is well-lit.”

Aton said it is helpful to check online reviews from other customers and ask about pest control, gate access hours, payment options and office hours.

Better protect your stuff
Most storage facilities offer climate-controlled and non-climate-controlled storage units.

“For summer storage, you may prefer temperature-controlled storage, especially if you are storing electronics and nice furniture,” Aton said.

If temperature-controlled spaces aren’t available, students can take certain steps to protect their belongings from heat and humidity.

Aton recommended purchasing a chemical moisture absorber, such as DampRid or
Dri-Z-Air, for storage units without air conditioning. She said placing a tarp or wooden pallets on the unit’s concrete floor can further protect belongings.