Local church offers intimate, classic setting

CAROUSELciChurch

Acoustic gospel tunes by Johnny Cash and Hank Williams are routine for Sacred Heart Church. It’s part of why Pastor Brandon Shurr calls the church the “throwback.”

The church’s goal is to be simple, providing a more classic and intimate setting, Shurr said. The church has stripped away all electrical sound equipment to allow every member in attendance to be heard.

“We are a participatory church,” Shurr said. “We like everyone to have a voice in the service. All voices are heard in the singing and call and response readings.”

Sunday marked the one-year anniversary of the church, located on the corner of West Kirkwood Avenue and North Madison Street.

Shurr said the members who attend Sacred Heart feel loved and accepted because of the church’s about 30-member community, which provides the opportunity for everyone to know one another better.

Many people who are typically attracted to the church are those who Shurr said haven’t been involved with a church recently or ever.

“It has been said by one of our community members that we have a ‘good amount of weirdos’ at Sacred Heart,” Shurr said. “So anyone that feels on the margins or they don’t fit in at other churches may likely find a place at Sacred Heart.”

Weekly events offered by the church include Sunday morning worship services, book groups Wednesday nights and parent and child play group activities Thursday mornings. The church also offers monthly craft nights.

In addition to weekly services, the church participates in various fundraising and community service projects.

In the spring, the church organized a benefit concert to raise money for Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard, an organization that provides healthy food to chronically malnourished people.

The church has also lent space for volunteer training sessions for the Bloomington Writing Project.

“We strive to get involved with existing organizations in town that people in our church community are already involved with,” Shurr said.

For School of Informatics employee Todd Theriault, Sacred Heart offers more than just the basic assets of a regular church.

Theriault, who regularly attends Sunday worship services and Wednesday night book club meetings, said the intimate atmosphere the church offers makes it one of a kind.

“Sacred Heart has a commitment to maintaining a positive force for social justice and the community and also to make a positive impact on Bloomington,” Theriault said.

Theriault has been attending the church since it opened. He said he appreciates the opportunity to become so closely acquainted with the church’s members.

“It’s a church where if people are gone, you miss them,” Theriault said. “It feels very much like being part of a family.”

Follow reporter Brett Frieman on Twitter @brttfrmn.