arts performances

IU Theatre debuts ‘Chicago’

The IU Department of Theatre, Drama and Contemporary Dance continues its 2013-14 season Friday with the opening of “Chicago.”

Performances will take place at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 25, 26, 29 and Nov. 1 and 2.
An additional performance will take place Nov. 2 at 2 p.m.

All performances are in the Wells-Metz Theatre in the Lee Norvelle Theatre and Drama Center.

With a book by Fred Ebb and Bob Fosse, lyrics by Ebb and music by John Kander, the original Broadway production of “Chicago” premiered in 1975 and ran until 1977.

It was revived in 1996 and currently holds the record for the longest-running American musical in Broadway history.

The 2002 film version of “Chicago,” directed by Rob Marshall, received critical acclaim. It was nominated for 13 Academy Awards and won six, including Best Picture.

In addition to seeing the show, audiences and community members will be able to view “Vamps and Voyeurs,” a Kinsey Institute exhibition that will be on display in the lobby gallery of the Wells-Metz Theatre.

Featuring various pieces of art and artifacts relating to crime, the exhibit will be open to the public during every evening performance of “Chicago” beginning at 7 p.m.

Tickets to “Chicago” may be purchased at the IU Auditorium Box Office, the Lee Norvelle Theatre and Drama Center box office, or the department’s website, theatre.indiana.edu.

The Oct. 25 performance is sold out.

— Rachel Osman