Halloween DIY ideas

The Halloween season launched this past week around campus.

However, the main event has yet to come.

For those still looking for something to wear and do not want to spend much or any money, here are a few tips.

I recently spoke with Mackenzie Keller and Sasha Souki, juniors and fashion design students at IU, and together we came up with a few ideas.

Listed below are ideas that can come out of the average woman’s closet. A few ideas require extra costuming purchases; however, none of them are substantial.

The first idea was a gypsy.

Keller said to pull together a form-fitting, long sleeve shirt with a maxi skirt. Then, pile on some layered scarves and gold jewelry.

The bigger, the better.

The benefits to this costume? It’s warmer than most. The skirt could disguise layers of leggings.

Though the costume will be more conservative than most, it will still be figure flattering since none of the costume will be baggy or bulky.

Souki suggested a pirate costume.

Take a white button down blouse — this can be made of any material. Then mix it with black leggings and taller boots.

For the finishing touches, you can create a vest out of an old T-shirt and tie a scarf into your hair.

For the vest, Souki added that you could take the T-shirt and give it a scissor makeover.

First, cut along the collar to remove the ribbing. To make the collar drop lower, cut in a “V” shape to allow it to drape down. Then, cut the sleeves along the seams to remove them.

Finally, take the front of the shirt and cut vertically down the middle. This will open the shirt into the vest shape.

As for me, I suggest you go to Charlotte Russe, Target or Party City. Get some prop accessories.

If you want to make sure your costume is more on the obvious side, these accessories are typically cheap and will add a final touch.

For example, if you wanted to be a cat, you would only need to get a pair of cat ears. From there, you could pair the accessories with the proper color. I assume most girls have a little black dress.

Pair the ears with whatever you choose. Then, take some eyeliner and draw some whiskers.

See? Not too complicated.

Now, open your closets and get to creating.

­— audperki@indiana.edu

Follow columnist Audrey Perkins on Twitter @AudreyNLP.