sports field hockey

Field hockey seniors to play final regular season home game

For the final time in their collegiate careers, seniors Emily Bowker, Hannah Boyer, Danielle McNally, Mariella Grote and Gaby Olshemski will play at the IU Field Hockey Complex Sunday against in-state rival Ball State.

IU Coach Amy Robertson said this weekend will be very emotional for the seniors, but they need to focus on their road game Saturday against the Ohio State Buckeyes at 1 p.m. before they look ahead to the Ball State game.

“We need to get ourselves back on track starting on Saturday,” Robertson said. “I feel that the team is on the verge of a breakthrough. We want to make our senior day a very happy and positive one.”

The Buckeyes have had a tough season up to this point. They currently have a record of 5-10, including 0-4 in Big Ten play.

The Buckeyes are allowing just 2.7 points per game. Grote, a senior forward, said the team has been working hard to develop strategies to attack Ohio State’s weaknesses, especially on the offensive side of the ball.

“We have been watching film and doing our tactical stuff,” Grote said. “We are trying not to get overwhelmed with scouting reports and those types of things. We definitely have specific things that we have been focusing on this week.”

The Hoosiers will be renewing their rivalry with Ball State at 1 p.m. Sunday. The Hoosiers are looking to avenge their 3-2 loss to the Cardinals last season.

The Cardinals have a record of 5-10 this season and are allowing 3.5 points per game.
Robertson wants the team to attack early in the game and end their two-game shutout streak.

“We have not been generating enough attack,” Robertson said. “Having the trust to run through the lines and get players deeper down the field to create scoring opportunities will be a big key for us.”

Bowker, a senior forward, said the team is feeling good heading into senior day and is looking forward to the competitive matchup against the Cardinals.

“Ball State is always really competitive with us,” Bowker said. “We face two of our rivals this weekend. We feel really good, and the seniors definitely want to finish the season with two victories.”

Grote said the team has been looking forward to senior day for quiet some time, and they are anxious to get back into the win column.

“I’m really excited,” Grote said. “We don’t really want our last home game to come, but it gives us a lot of spark knowing it is our last home game.”

Follow reporter Dan Matney on Twitter @Dan_Matney.