'20/20' Part 2

Justin Timberlake

While some things are better the second time around — cold pizza, chili or lasagna, to name a few — Justin Timberlake’s “The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2” does not fall into that category.

This album serves as the part two and literal leftovers from critically and commercially acclaimed “The 20/20 Experience.”

The songs on “2 of 2” were recorded at the same time as the ones from the first album, but rather than making one large album, 11 songs were “reserved” (translation: left on the cutting room floor) for the September release date.  

To make one experimental album is a challenge for any popular artist, but to make two in a row in a six-month time span is nearly unthinkable.

It would be easy to be less judgmental if this album wasn’t being compared side-by-side to the first part, but the songs just don’t hit the same level of quality as those on the first album did.

Listeners should not expect anything as powerful as “Mirrors.”

“Gimme What I Don’t Know,” “True Blood” and “Cabaret” have layers of sound that make listening overwhelming. However, it may be worthwhile to listen to “True Blood” just to hear Timbaland cackle like the voice in Michael Jackson’s “Thriller.”

Timbaland’s production on “TKO” makes the song catchy, but it’s not any more innovative than the 2007 collaboration, “Give it To Me.”  

“Drink You Away” adds variety with a blues take, and Timberlake shows off his range at the end of the track. Though the best part is really that it sounds slightly reminiscent of ‘N Sync’s 1998 song “Giddy Up.”

Despite earlier struggles, Timberlake does save the best for last in his 11-minute saga, “Not A Bad Thing.”

It’s so sweet it could have easily fit into the “Sixteen Candles” soundtrack. We can only hope there will be a music video as precious as “(God Must Have Spent) A Little More Time On You” to go along with it.       

In the last month JT has been all about the sequels, from this album to his reunion with ‘N Sync at the VMAs.

However, it would have made more sense to put the few good songs from this album onto the first “20/20” and left it at that.