Merit-based scholarships set to toughen standards

Incoming students will face a more extensive set of criteria to receive merit-based automatic scholarships because of a recent increase in applicants.

These changes will affect the graduating class of 2018, said Ron McFall, interim director for the Office of Scholarships. The new scholarships will be referred to as Achievement Scholarships and have an expanded set of criteria compared to
previous scholarships.

Students must complete their applications by Nov. 1 to be considered for the Achievement Scholarships.

IU previously offered scholarships to any incoming freshman that met a certain GPA requirement of at least 3.7. Students were also eligible for the scholarship if they had an SAT score of at least 1220 or an ACT score of at least 27, according to the Office of Scholarships website.

“Our previous program was effective and served as a sound approach for the past few years, but the University has changed during that time,” McFall said.

The University began its Automatic Academic Scholarships program in fall 2008, according to a press release.

Merit scholarships are evaluated and adjusted each year to better suit the changing student body, McFall said. Changing the scholarships allows the university to continue to offer awards to eligible students while keeping the university affordable for the student body, McFall said.

The students selected for the scholarships are based on multiple factors, including GPA, SAT/ACT scores and academic rigor, McFall said.

Award amounts vary from $1,000 to $6,000 for in-state students, which are referred to as the Provost’s Scholarship. Dean’s Scholarships, which are for out-of-state applicants, range from $1,000 to $11,000. The scholarships are renewable for up to four years, given that students maintain a 3.0 GPA and are enrolled in at least 12
credit hours.

Current students receiving a merit scholarship will not be affected by the change, McFall said.

Students can find an extensive list of scholarship opportunities on the University’s scholarship page. Award amounts and criteria are also listed. There are in-state, out-of-state, incoming student and current student options.

“The financial impact of this new approach allows IU to continue to offer impactful merit-based scholarships to high-achieving students,” McFall said.