Jazz trio puts audience first

CAROUSELBennett & Stone

Local musicians run rampant throughout Bloomington, and jazz group Bennett & Stone is a new group hoping to jump in on the action.

The trio formed in June and features pianist Mike Stone, vocalist Johnny Bennett and music director and bass player Bobby Scharmann.

The group’s style is focused around traditional jazz, primarily songs taken from the Great American Songbook. Bennett said the group strives to play music the audience can enjoy.

“We try to play songs that everyone knows,” he said. “We also feature a lot of the legacy that Indiana has, like we play a lot of Hoagy Carmichael.”

The group members reside in Bloomington, and Stone is even working on his master’s in piano at the Jacobs School of Music.

The group also takes up residencies at multiple venues around town.

In addition to weekly stints at Scholars Inn and Café Django, the group has performed at Scenic View, Malibu Grill and the Player’s Pub. They’ve also ventured outside of Bloomington, playing at St. Elmo’s in Indianapolis.

Bennett said the group tries to differentiate itself by putting an emphasis on fun in its shows.

“No one does what we do,” he said. “We do lots of joking and we’re very interactive with the crowd.”

Bennett said the intimate atmosphere the shows set up adds to the overall performance.

“We treat the crowd like we’re on a date,” he said. “We try to impress and entertain. It’s entertainment first, music second.”

Bennett, who spent the last few months as a touring musician before joining the group, said the group works together naturally and easily.

He said the group aims to please a wide range of audience members, and it hopes to do so by selecting songs that range from the 1920s through the ’70s.

“We want people to have fun and be entertained and leave in a good mood,” Bennett said. “That’s what brings people back.”

Follow reporter Carolyn Crowcroft on Twitter @carol_crowcroft.