sports field hockey

Freshman field hockey player adjusts to life, sport in America

IU v Robert Morris

Growing up in a family of seven in Dublin, IU women’s field hockey freshman forward Hannah McDermott never really expected to play the sport she loves overseas, especially in Bloomington.

On March 11, McDermott officially committed to play field hockey for IU Coach Amy Robertson.

“I really liked the location and how it was a university town,” McDermott said. “I liked that it wasn’t in the middle of a city. Indianapolis is nearby, and I am only two flights away from home.”

McDermott has an undecided major, but she said another reason she chose IU was because of its academic excellence.

“I think that IU offers a great degree,” she said. “I don’t know my major yet, but I know that whatever I choose will be a good degree because it is a very well established institution.”

McDermott didn’t start playing field hockey until she was 10-years-old. In Ireland, McDermott said field hockey is the most popular sport for women, and she was exposed to it in her physical education classes at a young age.

“My older sisters started playing first,” she said. “I got into the sport from watching them. I remember going to their matches, and it really sparked my interest in the sport.”

McDermott played throughout school and started for her state team at age 14. She spent her first three years playing at the under-16 level and eventually worked her way up to the under-18 team. When she was 16, she started playing on her first women’s club team.

McDermott was the leading scorer on the All-Ireland championship teams in 2011 and 2012. In 2011, McDermott led the team to a second-place finish and eventually won the Celtic Cup in 2012.

She said her favorite part about playing on the All-Ireland teams was all the traveling she did.

“We went to Holland and played in some tournaments,” McDermott said. “In 2012, we went to Scotland and played in the Celtic Cup. We beat Scotland, Wales and Switzerland for the championship, which was a great accomplishment.”

Aside from winning the Celtic Cup, McDermott also won the Jacqui Potter Cup and Leinster League Championship, in which she was the leading scorer.

Robertson praised McDermott for how quickly she has been able to adjust to the changes in scenery and also the change of the game at IU.

“We train a lot, and it is also much hotter over here,” Robertson said. “It’s a completely different culture.”

Field hockey in the United States is a lot different than it is in other countries, McDermott said.

“The game is more physical over here,” McDermott said. “There is more of a focus on fitness. When we got into overtime here, the teams go down to seven players. In Ireland, we play overtime with 11 players.”

McDermott also said being on the sidelines is a lot different.

“I find it weird that we have to stand when we are on the sidelines,” she said. “When you’re on the bench, you’re not actually on the bench.”

Follow reporter Dan Matney on Twitter @Dan_Matney.