sports field hockey

Field hockey to play twice this weekend

IU v Radford

After extending their winning streak to five games, the IU field hockey team faces two tough opponents at home this weekend in Miami (Ohio) and Penn State.

IU Field Hockey Coach Amy Robertson said Big Ten play is always exciting, especially starting at home.

“You get to this point, and you can’t wait,” Robertson said. “It really feels like Christmas Day.”

Before facing Penn State, the Hoosiers play the defending MAC Conference champion Miami Redhawks at 3 p.m. Friday. The Redhawks have started the season with a 5-4 record, including a 4-2 win against Ohio State last weekend.

IU junior forward Audra Heilman said although the team is excited to start Big Ten action, they’re more concerned about the game against Miami.

“The game against Miami is very important,” Heilman said.

The Hoosiers face off against the Nittany Lions noon Sunday.

Penn State has started 2013 with a 5-3 record, including three victories against nationally ranked teams.

Hoosier goalkeeper Maggie Olson said flexibility will be key this weekend.

“We are going to see some things this weekend that we haven’t seen in previous games,” Olson said.

Robertson thinks sticking to their game plan will help the Hoosiers break down Penn State’s tough defense.

“We have to be smart with the ball,” Robertson said.   “Execution will also be key this weekend.”

Olson didn’t downplay the importance of a fast start in conference play.

“You can’t put a value on it,” Olson said. “We really want to make a big leap from last season.”

Follow reporter Dan Matney on Twitter @Dan_Matney.