politics

Citizens’ Academy to teach residents about government

Monroe County residents can now apply for a free eight-week course to learn more about their local government.

The application for this year’s Monroe County Citizens’ Academy is due Friday.
The City of Bloomington also conducts a Citizens’ Academy, but classes have already begun.

The academy is a series of eight classes that give Monroe County residents the ability to learn more about how the government operates and how residents can become more involved, said Cindy Percifield, Monroe County Extension Office secretary.

“I encourage anyone who is interested in participating in civic life or knowing more about it to get involved,” Monroe County Council Member Cheryl Munson said.

The academy provides residents with a look at the functions of county government and will educate residents on activities of local government, according to the Monroe County website.

“It gives a great overview of the different aspects of county government,” Munson said. “The fun thing about it is that you get to talk to department leaders and get their firsthand perspective of how their office or department works.”

Percifield said this course is a good way for people to learn the services the county offices provide.

“It is hard for anyone to get a very full picture of county government because of its breadth,” Munson said. “This is the best way to learn something about how our county works and where they can fit in and make contributions to our civic life.”

People know how the courts work from watching television, Munson said, but there is so much more to the system than that.

The academy meets from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. Wednesdays from Oct. 2 to Nov. 20. The eight sessions will take place in various county offices.

Applicants must be 18 years old or older. Percifield said anyone who lives in
Monroe County is welcome to apply, including students, and she has not seen an application turned away.

The courses are free and funded by the Monroe County Commissioners and the Monroe County Council.

Submitting an application to the academy is free and can be found at co.monroe.in.us.
“It opened my eyes to many aspects of county government, and now I’m sitting on the County Council,” Munson, who took the course, said.

Follow reporter Mary Hauber on Twitter @mary_hauber.