Brown, Bronson perform at Bluebird

CAROUSELentDannyB

Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” played through the speakers as Action Bronson took the stage.

Arms in the air, he danced along to Houston before grabbing the mic.

Bronson and rapper Danny Brown’s 2 High 2 Die tour had officially taken hold of
Bloomington.

Canada may have denied Brown entrance earlier this month, but a full room of fans at the Bluebird Nightclub welcomed him and Bronson to the stage Tuesday night.

The two rappers are currently performing together for their 2 High 2 Die tour, which commenced earlier this month and will conclude in the beginning of October.

Trash Talk, a hardcore punk band from Sacramento, Calif., started the show at 9:30 p.m., and front row fans instantly started a mosh pit.

Although Brown and Bronson were the main performers, putting on separate sets, audience members said the opener wasn’t a throwaway act.

Colin Walls said he drove two hours from Crawford County in Illinois when he heard that not only Brown and Bronson would be touring, but also Trash Talk.

“I like Action Bronson and Danny Brown, and I saw Trash Talk a year ago, and they’re all awesome,” he said. “I came for all three of them.”

But before anyone took the stage, the IDS pulled Brown aside and got to ask the rapper MTV once called “one of rap’s most unique figures in recent memory” a few questions about the tour, his thoughts on musicians from his hometown of Detroit and his upcoming album, “Old.”

IDS So you’ve been to Bloomington before — a long time ago. What do you think of Bloomington?

Brown Last time I came, there weren’t even that many people. After we left, we went out to some bars and stuff and it was crackin’.

As a city, it seems pretty cool. But as for the show, I don’t think I’ve really played a real show here yet.

IDS Well now you’re here with Action for your 2 High 2 Die tour. How has that been going?

Brown I mean, it’s always easy when you can tour with someone that’s your friend.
And we’ve been kinda cool way before this even came about. It’s easy, you know?

IDS And you have a new album, “Old,” coming out Sept. 30. What can we expect to hear style-wise that’s different from “XXX?”

Brown I’m older. I’m more mature.

I’ve been making music for a long time, so it’s like at this point, a lot of ideas that I had, I’ve perfected them.

I know what works and what don’t at this point. It’s just maturity.

IDS Is the name “Old” a reference to you being older now?

Brown Well, no. “Old” is more depressing than “XXX.” But you’ve just got to hear it.
You can’t really talk about music. Somebody told me talking about music is like talking about architecture. You just can’t really do it.

You’ve gotta hear it, you’ve gotta see it.

IDS Are there any big influences on this album?

Brown I always rap about my life. Art imitates my life, my life imitates my art.
So as far as influences go, it’s the music that was the soundtrack to my life, which was in Detroit.

Whether it’s psychedelic sampling, J Dilla-esque type stuff, or it be techno-ghetto Juan Atkins music. And I also look up to Jack White because his whole thought process is about making music and just having that motivation.

Jack White is an intense person about music, and I feel like I’m the same way.

IDS
What do you think you bring to the music scene today?

Brown
It’s not about what I’m bringing, it’s about me leaving behind a mark. I make music so after I die, you can listen to it. That’s it.

It’s me documenting what I’m going through in my life, and when it’s over with, we’ll have something left.

It’s not about me bringing anything — it’s about my leaving behind a time capsule.

Follow reporter Amanda Arnold on Twitter @Amanda_Arnold14.