politics

Area Senator honored by association

Sen. Brent Steele, R-Bedford, chair of the Indiana Senate Judiciary Committee,  was recognized Thursday as a Champion of Justice by the Indiana Judges Association.
Others honored were Sen. Luke Kenley, R-Noblesville, Rep. Greg Steuerwald, R-Avon, and Rep. Steven Braun, R-Zionsville, at the association’s meeting in Fort Wayne.

Judge John Pera, president of the Indiana Judges Association, said Steele brings “a pragmatic, thoughtful approach to all matters before his committee as they relate to Indiana’s judicial system,” according to a press release from Steele’s office.

During the 2013 legislative session, Steele supported bills including House Enrolled Act 1053, which aims to improve Indiana’s sex offender registry, and HEA 1108, which establishes sentencing alternatives for young offenders.

“Our society relies on a justice system that’s fair, balanced and dependable,” Steele said in the release. “Upholding these values has been an important part of both my job at the Statehouse and my private law practice. It is an honor to be recognized by the Judges Association, and I’m humbled by Indiana’s strong community of lawyers, judges and other court officials who defend our justice system every day.”

— Matt Stefanski