Alpha Sig recruits after revival

CAROUSELcaAlpha

Last weekend marked the first official rush event for Alpha Sigma Phi since its reestablishment in January.

Alpha Sigma Phi has 19 potential recruits so far, said sophomore Alec Friend, alumni relations director, family relations director and brotherhood development director for the fraternity.

With this, their plans of almost doubling their member count is within reach this fall.
Though Thursday’s interfraternity recruitment event in Dunn Meadow was the official kick off, Alpha Sig brothers also tried to recruit potential pledges in other ways, such as those living near them in the residence halls.

Tommy Thompson wasn’t expecting to rush a fraternity.

He said he wasn’t interested in Greek life until he met some brothers from Alpha Sigma Phi.

Thompson, a freshman, met Alpha Sig brothers Michael Rudolf and Jonathan Lenkey during Welcome Week, he said.

“What I initially noticed about Tommy was that he was intelligent, classy and fun,” Rudolf said. “Since we hold similar values, we thought he would be a great fit for our organization.”

Thompson said he wasn’t initially planning on rushing, but changed his mind after he met some of the fraternity members.

“They told me that they’re striving for the highest GPA average on campus for all of the fraternities,” Thompson said, “They also stressed that they’re not the stereotypical fraternity, not like the things you hear about, like over-drinking, hazing, stuff like that.”

Thompson said he has attended several informal rush events with the brothers such as soccer games, bowling, tailgating and off-campus dinners. The Alpha Sigs even participate in an intramural flag football league.

Alpha Sig’s rush events are for every member of the fraternity, not just the pledges, Thompson said.

“The guys who are rushing as well as the standing members of the fraternity come to these events,” he said. “I think it’s really cool to get everyone cohesive from the start and not just have the pledges separate. I like that they have everybody already meeting and greeting.”

In addition to striving for the highest GPA for all IU fraternities, Alpha Sig is putting an emphasis on philanthropy this year, participating in five philanthropic organizations instead of their one last year, Thompson said.

Thompson also appreciates the networking that can be provided through Alpha Sig.

Thompson said he is happy with the process so far and looks forward to continuing his rush process.

“I know that fraternities are really good for connections, and that would be one thing I’d really like to get out of it,” he said.

Follow reporter Tori Lawhorn on Twitter @ToriLawhorn.