Air National Guard recruits with virtual drills

caNationalGuard

Members of the IU and Bloomington community were able to briefly experience the life of an Air National guardsman before the football game Saturday.

The Air National Guard Mobile Experience is a hands-on, interactive simulation that aims to replicate real-life training of an Air National Guard career.

“We’re walking people through a journey of an Air National guardsman’s career,” said Corey Boykin, Air National Guard Mobile Experience Tour spokesperson.

Though the exhibit was open to anyone who wanted to participate, the Air National Guard is specifically targeting college students for recruitment, Boykin said.

The mobile experience tent was available to any participants from 4 to 8 p.m. in the Orange Lot Parking, near the student entrance to Memorial Stadium.

Boykin said they were at the football game because college football is a market the National Guard is trying to move into for recruiting.

“This is a demographic we’re looking for the Air National Guard,” Boykin said.

The simulation was set up in a basic timeline of what a guardsman can expect over his or her career. The simulation started with registration of enlistment, where participants were able to submit their basic information to “enlist” in the Air National Guard.

Then, a medical challenge simulated technical school training for those interested in pursuing a medical career in the Air National Guard.

Participants could then train on a pull-up bar that represents the physical training of an Air National guardsman, Boykin said.

The simulation ends with a replicated reconnaissance mission that one would experience during a drill weekend in field training. Most of the simulations were performed on iPads, tablets and miniature TV screens.

In addition to the stations, recruiters were on site to answer any questions regarding enlistment.

“We have recruiters on site that can walk you through what would need to be done if you wanted to join the Air National Guard,” Boykin said.

Typically, the age of enlistees ranges from 18-39, Boykin said. The mobile experience
also aimed to stress the fact that students can enlist in the Air National Guard while studying full-time in college.

Guardsmen only have to serve one weekend per month and two weeks per year near their home. In addition to the limited required service, guardsmen also receive tuition assistance.

“Depending on where you live, the Air National Guard can pay for your entire college education,” Boykin said. “There are also a lot of opportunities job-wise. The Air National Guard has 200 different career fields.”

The Air National Guard Mobile Experience tour will travel from state to state until December, hoping to educate and recruit as many people as possible, preferably college students, for the Air National Guard.

Follow Greek life reporter Tori Lawhorn on Twitter @ToriLawhorn.