New tailgating rules for IU greeks

CAROUSELTailgating

Fall tailgating starts today, and all IU greek chapters must follow a new set of guidelines.

In order to provide more structure for tailgating, every greek chapter must now rent a lot at a fee of $150. Each lot will be tented off to reinforce the new organization, and each tent is $100.

The new organization is meant to ensure lots for different fraternities and sororities, said Sean Jordan, Inter-Fratnerity Council president.

In the past, most Greek organizations congregated in one spot, resulting in large parties that were difficult to control, he said.

“I think the major issue that we had with the previous tailgate was that it was perceived as a ‘free for all,’” Jordan said.

Greek chapters must also preserve their lots so that they may be used for future tailgates.

“Now we have tents that allocate specific spots for whatever organization rents it, and that specific organization will be responsible for the cleanup and maintenance of it,” Jordan said.

Jordan said he hopes these guidelines will make for a safer and more enjoyable environment for all participating organizations.

“I think this will perpetuate a much better image of our community, and it will discourage unhealthy behavior that we have seen in the past,” Jordan said.

Jordan and Panhellenic Association President and senior Anjulia Urasky relayed this new information to the Greek community Aug. 27.

Although the guidelines were initiated by the administration and athletics, Urksay said it needed Greek students themselves to help deliver information to the rest of the University chapters.

Alcohol is still regulated in the same way it has been with the past PHA and IFC executive boards — no hard alcohol will be permitted on the tailgating fields. In addition, every participant must follow the legal drinking laws.

“I hope people will still have a good time,” Urasky said. “Tailgating is very well known throughout the IU community. Everyone wants to have fun. I hope it’s a safer tailgating environment than what it was in the past.”

The lots will close 15 minutes before each football game. This was initiated in order to promote more student attendance.

“We want more students to go to the games this year,” Jordan said. “We have a student-designated lot and entryway. We’re really encouraging all of these chapters to attend the games regularly to show support for our football team.”

Currently, these are working guidelines. After the second week, the committees will restructure the process of registering for all tailgates, Jordan said.

“It’s still a work in progress, essentially,” Jordan said. “We’re going to get feedback from chapter presidents so we can reconvene with the IU tailgate committee so we can make any amendments that might be necessary.”

Follow reporter Tori Lawhorn on Twitter @ToriLawhorn.