sports volleyball

IU volleyball sets tournament goal

With the first volleyball games coming this weekend, senior team captain Jade Henderson said the team is excited to get started.

“This is the most excited I’ve been for a season,” she said. “This year we have great potential and chemistry. We have the talent, and we have put it out there that we are ready for the season.”

After missing the NCAA tournament the past two seasons, this year’s squad is looking to remind people of the 2010 team that made it all the way to the Sweet 16.

Returning all but three seniors, IU also adds a talented freshman class. IU Coach Sherry Dunbar said she doesn’t see why there is any reason the team shouldn’t make the tournament.

“NCAA tournament is our goal,” she said. “The journey is to figure out ways to get there, but that has been our goal since January when we started training again, and I think it’s very clear, and we have been working towards that every day.”

Seven teams in the Big Ten are ranked in the top 25 nationally. Four Big Ten teams are in the top 10. Indiana, however, is not ranked.

Defending conference champion Penn State comes to the University Gym Oct. 3 to face the Hoosiers, who will look to upset the No. 3 team in the country.

“You’re seeing the best conference in volleyball in America,” Dunbar said.

Other notable games on the schedule include home matches against No. 22 Ohio State Oct. 5, No. 8 Minnesota Nov. 2, No. 7 Nebraska Nov. 23, No. 15 Purdue Nov. 27 and the home finale against No. 5 Michigan Nov. 29.

“We want to go undefeated in the preseason, and we want to compete hard in the Big Ten,” Henderson said. “We want to go to the tournament. We will go to the
tournament.”

Players say an advantage the Hoosiers appear to have heading into their opening matches this weekend against Robert Morris, Rutgers, and Kent State is team chemistry.

The team has spent all spring and summer working out and preparing for the season and are hoping that their hard work pays off. 

“We have a new identity this year, and we can’t wait to show everyone,” senior team captain and defensive specialist Caitlin Hansen said. “Our camaraderie and our togetherness is unbelievable. I’ve been here for four years now, and I’ve never had this feeling before."

IU had an average attendance of 676 people for their home matches at University Gym, and is hoping to draw more attention this year from students.

“We are going to put on a show for them,” Hansen said. “We are going to show them how hard we worked, and I’ll tell you it’ll be an experience that you will never forget. We will bring you energy, and we’ll bring you a show. We’re excited to play at IU, and we bring our pride and play with our pride.”

Follow reporter Andrew Vailliencourt on Twitter @AndrewVcourt.