Big Sean misses mark

Big Sean

Big Sean, I’ll admit, it was tough to take you seriously after that rendezvous with Justin Bieber last year. Your debut “Finally Famous” was honest and clever, and after listening to it on repeat during a long bus ride last summer, I thought I knew you. But I guess that’s why, as you say, “when it turns real, that’s when everyone turns fake.”

With expectations set lower than Bieber’s IQ, “Hall of Fame” does deliver. But for a sophomore album by someone with as much talent as Big Sean has shown previously, it just isn’t all there.

Some tracks flow in the same vein as the “Finally Famous” sound. The songs that shine include contributions from artists like Nas, Kid Cudi and Nicki Minaj, among others, while the ones he raps by himself fall short. Ellie Goulding brings a fresh sound to “You Don’t Know,” and Nicki Minaj is ridiculous, as expected, in “MILF.” Miguel beautifully carries “Ashley” (named for Sean’s high school sweetheart and former girlfriend) and complements Sean’s rhymes about moving on from a first love. A third dimension is added to the song when you learn that he has a new girlfriend, “Glee” actress and singer Naya Rivera.

Other tracks like “Beware” and “First Chain” follow Sean’s recipe for success: catchy beats, smart rhymes and well-timed, confident humor.

But from there, the album contains boring tracks like “Toyota Music” and “Nothing is Stopping You.” The latter serves as an underwhelming part two of “So Much More,” complete with YouTube comments saying it is “life-changing.” The downright painful “Fire” has a dizzying backbeat, made worse in the music video, which stars Miley Cyrus — surprise, scantily clad, writhing.

While the album has some definite hits, Big Sean aimed for “Hall of Fame” to earn a “Best in Show,” when really all it deserves is a pat on the back. Better luck next time.