Alpha Sigma Phi rebuilds chapter

This semester will be the first fall rush for the Gamma Chi chapter of the Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity since its reestablishment on campus in January.

The chapter disbanded at the beginning of last school year due to a lack of interest, said sophomore Kishan Sangani, Alpha Sig vice
president.

“The previous chapters just ran out of steam,” Sangani said. “It just sort of
 fell apart.”

The fraternity currently has 18 members, but Sangani said it is hoping to double that number by the end of fall rush. For Alpha Sig, rush will start immediately.

“We’re going to be utilizing what connections we have and trying to find young men who we think are a good fit for our organization,” Sangani said.

As the United States’ 10th oldest collegiate fraternity, Sangani said Alpha Sig brothers pride themselves on living by the fraternity’s five values: silence, charity, purity, honor and patriotism.

Sophomore Alec Friend said the fraternity is seeking members who aim to balance their academic and social lives.

“There’s a bunch of really good guys who are of all different backgrounds, all working toward the same goal,” Friend said. “They all want to better themselves in everything they do.”

Alpha Sig will have several rush events in the coming weeks, and will follow the same format as any other fraternity, Friend said. There will be a two-week recruitment process, which begins Sept. 15.

Pledges will be determined based on evaluations, interviews and several meet-and-greets with fellow fraternity members, Sangani said.

Members hope to participate in other social events this year, including IUDM and Little 500, he said.

Graduate student Scott Rarick, Alpha Sig chapter adviser, said Alpha Sig’s pledge class is measured in quality, not quantity.

“We want a solid class,” Rarick said. “We want our pledges to fit the values of our fraternity and make a difference going forward.”