arts exhibits

'Women of IU' exhibit opens at Memorial Union

caPortrait

From IDS Reports

During the past few weeks, the Indiana Memorial Union’s decorations have changed.
Students can now enjoy the “Women of IU” exhibit in the East Lounge of the IMU.

After many years in the IMU, the portraits of IU’s 17 former presidents have been removed. They were moved to Franklin Hall to the newly created ‘Hall of Presidents.’

To replace the portraits, Linda Hunt, assistant vice president of capital planning and facilities, proposed the creation of the exhibit.

“The exhibit is an assortment of women who were crucial and did important, active things at IU during the early years,” Sherry Rouse, curator of campus art, said. “I think this is one of the most important exhibits in the history of IU.”

Rouse took control of the project and found the 13 portraits for the exhibit.

“It is very important to represent in one place, which has over 12,000 students, faculty, staff, alumni and visitors every day, the fact that women have played and continue to play a major role in the life and history of Indiana University,” Bruce Jacobs, executive director of the IMU and IU Auditorium, said.

Each portrait includes a description of the woman’s impact.

One portrait is of Anna Bernice Hartin Wells, mother of Herman B Wells. Serving as IU’s first lady for 25 years, Wells became known as “Mother Wells” because of her affectionate demeanor.

Another portrait is of Kate Milner Rabb. She is best known for her column that ran in the Indianapolis Star’s editorial page, “A Hoosier Listening Post.” Rabb also has a part of Teter Residence Hall named after her.

Rouse said she hopes to keep the exhibit long enough for incoming students to see the exhibit.

The “Women of IU” exhibit will be a rotating exhibit along with other exhibits not decided at this time.

Catherine Huynh