community events

Stoops honors Bloomington’s Tibetan high lama

Indiana State Senator Mark Stoops (D-Bloomington) put forth a resolution to honor the life and accomplishments of Arjia Rinpoche, a prominent Tibetan lama. The Indiana Senate recently passed the resolution.

Rinpoche, the director of Bloomington’s Tibetan Mongolian Buddhist Cultural Center  and Kumbum Chimtse Ling Temple, was the first Tibetan lama to lead prayer on the Senate floor before commencing business.

“It was an honor to have him give the invocation and celebrate the valuable insight and influence he offers to the city.” Stoops said.

Stoops said that the temple and cultural center are unique assets to Bloomington and the State of Indiana.

Rinpoche is an accomplished Buddhist scholar and teacher, originally from Tibet.

Forced to flee his homeland due to political turmoil, he came to the U.S. in 1998. A close friend to the Dalai Lama, Rinpoche hosted him on his 2007 stay in Bloomington when he came to visit the TMBCC, which was founded by his late brother, Thubten Norbu in 1979.

Rinpoche is the only Tibetan high lama of Mongolian descent and was appointed as director of the TMBCC by the 14th Dalai Lama. He regularly hosts and speaks with guests of the center who wish to learn more about Buddhist teachings.

The TMBCC is located south of Bloomington and offers an assortment of services and tours by appointment. For more information, visit www.tibetancc.com.