administration academics & research student life

McRobbie recommends tuition increases to Board of Trustees

On Friday, May 24, IU President Michael McRobbie recommended that the University’s Board of Trustees increase tuition and fee rates for Indiana resident undergraduate students by an average of 1.75 percent each of the next two academic years, according to a press release.

Non-resident tuition and fees would increase 2.75 percent each of the next two academic years at IU.

Tuition and fees will also increase at IU’s five regional campuses and will also average an increase of 1.75 percent each of the next two years. Individual campus increases will range from 1.3 to 2.2 percent as IU moves toward standardized tuition rates at its regional campuses, according to the release.

Tuition and mandatory fees for Indiana residents at IU Bloomington will increase from $10,033 in 2012-13 to $10,209 in 2013-14.

Under these recommendations, non-resident tuition and fees would increase 1.75 percent at IUPUI and from 1.5 to 2 percent at IU’s regional campuses. Resident tuition and fees would go from $8,605 to $8,756 at IUPUI.

IU’s tuition recommendations also call for increases across most of IU’s graduate programs, according to the release. Depending on the program, tuition for Indiana resident graduate students will increase from 0 to 3 percent each of the next two years and 0 to 6 percent for non-resident graduate students.

Though tuition and fees are increasing, IU’s recommended increases for resident undergraduate students fall below the non-binding target of 2 percent recommended by the Indiana Commission for Higher Education this month, according to the release. The increases recommended by McRobbie are the lowest rate increases since the late 1970s, according to the release.

“Indiana University has consistently demonstrated in recent years its commitment to providing a world-class education to our students at as affordable a cost as possible,” McRobbie said in the release. “The modest increases recommended for the next two academic years, along with programs such as our on-time completion award and our summer tuition discount, will allow IU to remain one of the best educational values in the Big Ten and across the nation.”

McRobbie expressed gratitude in the release to the Indiana General Assembly’s decision to appropriate additional funds to the University during the next two years, alumni and donors and to employees at IU.

June 5 at the IUPUI Campus Center in Indianapolis, the IU Board of Trustees will hold a public meeting to hear comment on the University’s recommendations. The meeting will be streamed live online at broadcast.iu.edu.