Life beyond the platitudes

When I first thought about writing a column about my study abroad experience, I hesitated. 

“Oh look, another upper middle-class white kid raving about how her time in a developing country ‘like, totally changed her life!’” I imagined the chorus of cynical masses singing.

However, throughout the past five months living in Latin America I’ve learned, or maybe even re-learned, lessons that have changed my life — lessons that I believe are worth sharing, and lessons that can enhance anyone’s life, regardless of where they’re living.

1. Say “yes.” 

For so long, my own perceived weaknesses and inhibitions had kept me from joining in on potentially enjoyable experiences.

In Ecuador, things changed. I knew that my time there was limited and was usually around a group of adventurous people, so I learned to say “yes” more often. 

I rode a horse through the mountains for two hours, even though I was afraid. I rode in the back of pickup trucks and got completely drenched swimming in waterfalls and tried foods that I knew I would hate. I talked to natives in Spanish, even though I knew that my grammar was imperfect.

Before, fear of looking stupid or feeling awkward kept me from saying “yes”. Once I shed that fear, I was able to experience life more fully and to build memories that I could look back on fondly.

2. Seek and find beauty. 

I will always remember the time I went on a night hike through the Amazon river. I was scared and tired from hiking all day, and the hike was optional, but I mustered up a “yes” and was on my way.

Throughout the trek a coordinator of my program, an older Ecuadorian woman with a heart of gold named Gladys, trailed me. Every time our guide would stop to point out some type of bug or leaf, Gladys would stay behind for a bit observing and saying “how beautiful.”

The other Americans in my study abroad group laughed throughout the semester at how liberally Ecuadorians seemed to say things like “that is the most wonderful dog in the world,” but they did so because they saw life through a lens of beauty and truly marveled at the creations of the world.

I now allow myself to be amazed at the simple things, because when it comes down to it, life really is amazing. 

3. Live with passion. 

One of the most admirable aspects of Ecuadorian culture is, in my opinion, that Ecuadorians let themselves enjoy life and express their internal emotions freely.

Once during a weekend trip I was on a bilingual German/Spanish tour bus around the city. At the end of the tour, the bus converted into a mobile fiesta, blasting reggaeton and salsa music with speakers at full capacity. I imagined the Germans on the top level of the bus angrily plugging their ears and scoffing at the sexually explicit lyrics, as most older Americans would likely do. However, on the bottom level of the bus older Ecuadorians were dancing, shimmying, and throwing their hands in the air without a care in the world.

We humans are emotional beings. Now, instead of feeling ashamed, weak, or silly for the things I feel, I realize that it is a normal part of life — one that should be embraced. 

And when I feel sad, the times I so vividly feel my zest for life bring me back to a state of calm and balance.

— kabeasle@indiana.edu