Crashes claim lives of IU student, parent

Five IU students returning home to the Chicago area were involved in a car accident on I-65 around 1:50 p.m. Saturday where one student died.

Mario L. Guagliardo, 20, of Deerfield, Ill., was driving a 2003 Ford Explorer northbound in the right lane of I-65 when a right-side tire blew out just north of mile marker 205 in Jasper County, about 60 miles south of Chicago.

John J. Malone Jr., 20, of River Forest, Ill., was in a rear seat but not wearing a seat belt. He was ejected from the Explorer and pronounced dead at the scene from blunt force trauma.  Malone had just completed his sophomore year as a SPEA student at IU.

Jason L. Blackman, 20, of Wilmette, Ill., and Michael D. Rende, 20, of Bloomington, were also seated in the back.

Rende was ejected and came to rest in the roadway. He was airlifted to Advocate Christ Hospital in Oak Lawn with severe injuries, but was reported to be in fair condition Sunday.

Blackman was taken to Jasper County Hospital in Rensselaer with ankle and rib injuries. Police did not say if he was wearing a seat belt.

Jacob M. Newman, 20, of La Grange, Ill., was wearing a seat belt and was sitting in the front passenger seat. He was not reported as injured.  

Around 2:50 pm., a second fatal crash occurred on northbound I-65 at mile marker 201 involving an IU student. The second crash happened just south of the previous accident.

IU student Christin B. Gelinas, 21, of Valparaiso, Ind., was stopping for the backup caused by the earlier accident when her 1999 Ford Explorer was hit by a 1997 Mercury Sable driven by Shannon K. Morrison, 20, of Wheatfield, IL. Morrison’s vehicle went out of control due to traffic, causing her to hit the Explorer. The Explorer rolled and came to rest upright in the roadway.

The crash killed Christin Gelinas’ mother, Melissa Gelinas, 51, of Valparaiso, who was a front-seat passenger. She was wearing her seat belt.

Christin Gelinas, who was also wearing her seat belt, was taken to Jasper County Hospital in Rensselaer with abrasions to her knees.

Morrison was wearing a seat belt and not injured. She was cited for unsafe lane movement.

Makenzie Holland