sports baseball

IU tries to extend win streak to 17 games

spBaseball CAROUSEL

With a win Friday night — the first home night game in program history — the No. 17 IU baseball team (23-3, 6-0) could match the nation’s longest winning streak of the season of 17 games set by Mississippi State to begin the season. IU’s opponent, Illinois, is seventh in the conference but has the second-best overall record at 18-7.

The Hoosiers could claim the longest streak with a win at 2:05 p.m. Saturday. The series concludes at 1:05 p.m. Sunday.

The Illini rank second behind IU in six major offensive categories, including on-base percentage, entering this weekend’s series at Bart Kaufman Field. The Illini’s OBP of .382 marks an improvement from previous IU opponents Iowa and Penn State, as the Hawkeyes sit sixth with a .352 rate and the Nittany Lions rank 10th, reaching base at a collective .316 clip.

The Illini also have a proclivity to pilfer bases. They stole eight bases on ten attempts against sophomore catcher Kyle Schwarber in their series last year, including seven-of-eight in the series finale. Schwarber said that is definitely a reason he worked on that aspect of his position before practice Tuesday.

“I haven’t been as sharp as I have been throwing the baseball,” he said. “I’m trying to put in a little bit of extra work and definitely getting it down because they’re a big running team.”

This season, Illini base runners have successfully stolen a base on 86.6 percent of their attempts (58-67). Sophomore David Kerian is an unblemished 12-of-12 in stolen base attempts and senior Justin Parr is not far behind at 11-of-12.

“They’re going to be very similar to what they were last year, putting pressure on us,” IU Coach Tracy Smith said. “That’s why we feel good with the two left-handers we have in our starting rotation. They do a really good job of controlling the running game. It will again be our ability to get that first out of the inning, get that leadoff guy.”

The Illini are a more athletic side than the first two conference foes, Smith said.

Illinois has the second-highest batting average in the Big Ten, as Illini hitters average .300. The Hoosiers lead the conference with a .324 average. Their first two conference
opponents, Iowa and Penn State, are batting .258 and .244, respectively. Only Purdue is worse, at .236.

The Illini are second to IU in slugging percentage, runs scored, hits and RBI, too. Junior relief pitcher Walker Stadler said the team had played some very good competition before this series and posted good results.

“I have confidence in our whole staff,” he said. “We’re not going to take anything from Penn State and Iowa because who knows what they can do down the stretch.”

Meanwhile, Illinois defeated Missouri 6-2 Tuesday at Busch Stadium in St. Louis to end the Tigers’ six-game winning streak against the Illini. The result notched Illinois’ first win against Missouri since 1988.

That will play a nonexistent role in this series because it’s still the same game, Schwarber said.

Smith said he thinks junior outfielder Casey Smith, who suffered a hip pointer attempting a diving catch in the first inning against Louisville, will be back this weekend.

Smith and Schwarber mirrored each other’s thoughts about the need to control the Illini on the base paths.

“I’m really looking forward to this weekend to see if the work paid off,” Schwarber said.