sports baseball

Hoosiers end incredible winning streak

IU baseball has seen a lot of success so far this season, but things changed during the weekend.

As the Hoosiers (25-4, 8-1) walked off the field after Sunday’s game, they knew they had done something they hadn’t done in almost a month: lost.

After losing to Illinois on Sunday, IU ended their 18-game winning streak, which is the new NCAA 2012-13 season record.

College baseball fans around the country may wonder how a basketball school from Indiana pulled off such an amazing feat.

The Hoosiers did it with solid hitting and strong pitching.

First, IU doesn’t lack powerful and consistent hitters in its lineup.

Three Hoosiers are in the top seven in the Big Ten for their batting averages.

Seven of IU’s normal starters have a .300 batting average or better through 29 games.

Three of the top five players are in the Big Ten in terms of slugging percentages.

Sophomore catcher Kyle Schwarber leads the team with a .420 batting average, a .688 slugging percentage, seven homeruns and 31 runs batted in, putting him in first place on the team in all categories except RBIs.

Hitting could have been a problem because of the loss of big contributors from last season.

Before the start of the season, IU lost junior Dillon Dooney, the second team All-Big Ten designated hitter last season, to personal issues. 

His effectiveness with the bat will certainly be missed.

But in sports, it’s all about the next man up.

Virginia Tech transfer and sophomore designated hitter Scott Donley has stepped in and filled those big shoes.

The Crown Point, Ind., native has a .369 batting average with three home runs and a conference-best 37 runs batted in.

However, impressive pitching has been the backbone to this team’s success.

IU leads all Big Ten teams with a 2.34 earned run average.

Three Hoosiers rank in the top 10 in Big Ten individual ERAs.

Sophomore starting pitchers Aaron Slegers and Kyle Hart have combined for an 11-1 record with 59 strikeouts in 85 innings.

Both pitchers boast under 2.20 ERAs so far this season.

The main go-to pitchers for Head Coach Tracy Smith have come from his bullpen.

Freshman pitcher Scott Effross leads the team with a 1.02 ERA, 21 strikeouts and three saves in 14 appearances.

Junior pitcher Ryan Halstead is fourth on the team with a 1.86 ERA, 19 strikeouts and five saves.

Both have had to pitch well in clutch situations, since former reliever Jonny Hoffman was released from the team because of a drug-related situation in January.

Last season, Hoffman led the team in ERA, wins, saves and appearances.

So far, Effross and Halstead have been vital substitutes in the absence of Hoffman.

Finally, Hoosier Nation showed up big this past weekend against Illinois.

All three games were sold out in their series against the Fighting Illini.

Smith discussed the impact that the big crowds had on his team.

“It’s exciting to see the reaction of the kids when you put about 3,000 people in the stands,” Smith said.

Fans should continue to support this team because of the talent on the field and  the brand-new Bart Kaufman field, which creates an excellent fan experience.

“When we see lots of fans in the stands, it makes the games seem more important,” senior shortstop Michael Basil said. “We want to keep them coming back, especially with how well our team is playing.”

Although the winning streak has ended for this squad, there is still more than a month left in the regular season to record more victories.

This season has already turned out to be one of the best in IU baseball history, and there is still more damage to be done.

­— Amsiegal@indiana.edu