Don't Call it a Comeback

Alright. We won’t. So banner six isn’t exactly knocking on our door this season, but that doesn’t mean we can’t support the Hoosiers in other ways. Inside talked with junior Andrew “Shmoow” Steres and senior Alex Fox, two of the newest rappers

Fox and Steres

Steres picked LL Cool J’s “Mama Said Knock You Out” to remix, and within a week, Fox had written the new IUBB-themed lyrics.

“I made him rap the whole thing to me over the phone,” Steres says, when he found out Fox had finished writing. Soon after, they recorded the song with a friend, junior Max Queen, in the Jacobs School of Music on Saturday night. “We got there at 8 p.m. and didn’t leave until like 2 in the morning,” Fox says.

While Steres says this song was his rap debut, senior screenwriting major Fox has been rapping since he was a freshman in high school.

“This is definitely my breakout success though,” he says.   

Where did the idea for the song come from?
Steres: I really wanted to do it since my senior year in high school. I was thinking about going to the University of Oregon, and right when I went to visit there, their big song for the football team was blowing up at the time. And all these people were wearing “I love my ducks shirts.” So I was like, when I go to college I want to do something like that, and then freshman year “This is Indiana” came out, so I kind of missed that...

What do you think of being compared to Brice Fox and Daniel Weber? You do have the same last name...
Fox: I’m actually friends with Daniel Weber, and he’s been really supportive. He posted our video on his Facebook. I don’t view it as a competition between “This is Indiana” and “Don’t Call It a Comeback.” I think we’re doing it in the same spirit and in the same vein as a song to support the team.

How are you handling the loss? How will this affect the song?
Fox: After we lost I wasn’t thinking in terms of I made this song and now it’s not really going to get any more views. It was, “I love the Hoosiers, and they lost” and it was really devastating in that way. The whole reason we made the song was because we’re fans first.

More than 40,000 views in two weeks: what’s your reaction to that number?
Fox: It was really crazy that people were watching it even after the game ended, maybe just as a final way to say goodbye to the season. It’s no “This is Indiana,” that’s like 2 million views or something crazy like that, but no it is really a pretty cool achievement. We just really set out to have fun and get it out there.

Are you planning to do any live performances?
Fox: Maybe upon request...
Steres: ...No one’s asked us to yet.

Do you have plans to make any more IU-related music?
Fox: I’d definitely be interested in making another IU-type song. There’s a much bigger market for the IU stuff, so it’s much easier to get out.