Besnard Lakes plays at the Bishop

A moving image of a water current was projected over the faces of The Besnard Lakes as they played in the dim light of the stage.

The Besnard Lakes performed at the Bishop on Monday. They are on tour for their most recent album “Until In Excess, Imperceptible UFO.”

Signed with local label Jagjaguwar, The Besnard Lakes describe themselves as a mixture of pop, psychedelic and progressive genres. The husband-wife duo Jase Lasek and Olga Goreas started the band in Montreal back in 2003.

The show, started at 9 p.m. with band, Suuns, followed by The Besnard Lakes.
“It started with that phrase alone,” The Besnard Lakes guitarist Richard White said.
White said the album title came from a French review that was translated incorrectly on Google and didn’t make much sense. One of the ways the wrongly translated review described the band was “Until in Excess, Imperceptible UFO,” and the group thought it was hilarious.

“Somebody translated it wrong, and one of the sentences was that,” White said. “At first we thought it was really funny, but then we thought about it more, and it ended up inspiring the album.”

He said they thought it help listeners think of them as less of a serious, dark band.
“We actually tried to inject a bit of humor into it, because people actually always say our music is kind of dark,” White said. “We wanted to do something slightly less dark — it’s not like a serious thing.”

The members of the group have worked with artists such as Godspeed You! Black Emperor, who has a similar sound.

They have also been nominated for a Polaris Music Prize in Canada, a music award given to the best album based on artistic merit. The band has had three of their four albums nominated for the award.

Suuns also hails from Canada. They are represented by local label Secretly Canadian.
“Suuns put on a really great show. It was cool to see them get into it,” said Anne Jonkers, a Secretly Canadian employee and member of the audience for the show.