2013 commencement speakers announced

Attendees at this year’s IU Bloomington undergraduate commencement ceremonies, taking place Saturday, May 4, at Assembly Hall, will hear from graduating seniors Deanna Allbrittin and Sonia Phadke.

Majoring in journalism with a broadcast specialization and minoring in political science, economics and Spanish, Allbrittin, from Mason, Ohio, has been news director, reporter and producer for IU Student Television and a staff reporter for the Indiana Daily Student. She has interned with WTIU-WFIU in Bloomington and WXIN-TV in Indianapolis.

Phadke, from Valparaiso, Ind., is majoring in biology with a minor in chemistry and a certificate from the Liberal Arts and Management Program. Phadke founded the Mukund Phadke One More Heartbeat Foundation and has served as communications director with Global Medical Brigades.

“Deanna and Sonia have made the most of their years at IU-Bloomington with their sterling academic achievements, leadership activities, community service work and international study,” Sonya Stephens, vice provost for undergraduate education, said in a press release. “Each has a remarkable and inspiring story to tell. As commencement speakers, they will be outstanding representatives of and spokeswomen for the Class of 2013.”

Makenzie Holland