sports baseball

Fewer miscues fuel Hoosiers’ success

spBaseball CAROUSEL

In possession of the nation’s longest winning streak against Division I competition at 12 games, the No. 24 IU baseball team (19-3, 3-0) has an opportunity to escape March with only one loss as it enters its first Big Ten road series beginning 2:05 p.m. EDT Saturday at Iowa.

Meanwhile, the Hawkeyes enter Saturday’s series opener at 9-10  and seek to win their first conference series this season.

To do so, the Hawkeyes must play better baseball because the Hoosiers rarely lose. IU’s 27 errors through 22 games is almost half of its total of 50 miscues through as many contests last season.

“I think it’s probably the biggest reason we are 19-3,” senior infielder Michael Basil said. “We know that we have good pitching and we know that we can hit. The biggest question coming into this year was the defense because it was so terrible last year, especially at the beginning of the season. Knowing that our defense is playing that well has escalated the other parts of our game too.”

Sophomore catcher and infielder Chad Clark has started 19 of 22 games, including 14 at second base. Clark, whose assists in the first and fourth innings stranded
Louisville runners at third base, and Basil, who has started every game at shortstop, have formed a consistent presence up the middle. Junior pitcher Ryan Halstead said that has a big impact on the team’s success.

“Chad and Basil up the middle is, obviously, a great combo,” he said. “They’re turning double plays like crazy. To have confidence in a defense like that is huge for a pitcher. All we have to do is come out and worry about throwing strikes instead of making a perfect pitch every time.”

Additionally, IU’s offense has outscored opponents by 102 runs. At this time last season, opponents had plated 17 more runs than IU.

The Hoosiers’ starting pitching corps has consistently performed too. In each of the season’s first five weekend series, IU Coach Tracy Smith has sent the same three starters to the hill. He said a combination allows this to come to fruition.

“Guys are getting it done, they deserve to be out there,” he said. “Another piece of that is luck, guys are staying healthy. We’ve extended our starters a lot early before because we didn’t have this depth. But now, when you can get the guys out after five or six innings, it allows them to be fresh and continue to have that success.”

Smith also stated support for the two-closer system between Halstead and freshman Scott Effross.

Basil said the Hoosiers must keep winning to stay in first place to achieve their main goal, a Big Ten championship.

“It’s time for Big Ten, the road series,” Smith said. “Stay locked in, stay focused and don’t get fat and sassy. Let’s just keep doing what we’re doing.”