Diversity Coalition plans for April rally

The IU Diversity Coalition called a “rally planning meeting” in the Neal Marshall Black Culture Center Tuesday evening to plan a rally to emphasize and publicize diversity.

The three core members of the Diversity Coalition — Titilayo Rasaki, Leighton Johnson and Fred Diego — asked the group of about 30 students, staff and faculty gathered in the Bridgwaters Lounge the question: What issues have you seen with the various programs?

One student said IU fails to recruit in certain Indiana areas like Gary and Indianapolis outside of just the Hudson & Holland Scholarship Program, Groups Scholars Program and 21st Century Scholars.

The IU Diversity Coalition was started last year as a student-run initiative to discuss and plan actions dealing with programs that bring in diversity like Groups and Hudson and Holland, specifically.

Diego said the coalition members are working to resolve the issue on all grounds and pressing the issue with administrators to make changes.

He said he first noticed that he was the only non-white in his cognitive science class when his professor pointed it out.

“That’s one of those things that really got me thinking, to what extent there’s an absence of minorities in the STEM fields and if that underrepresentation could be evidenced,” Diego said.

“I witnessed it first hand. Then I didn’t realize it until someone pointed it out ... they’re not hearing from the students that are feeling a lack of diversity.”

Rasaki said that for more than a year they have tried to talk to administrators about the failing infrastructure of these programs and nothing is being done about it.

Diversity Coalition members said they believe that the core of the issue is the degenerating infrastructure within the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs.

They want to advocate not only for the recruitment and retention of underrepresented minority students, but also for a diverse faculty.

One staff member stated that having a diverse faculty can increase the learning environment for everyone.

Junior Jose Mitjavila is a Hudson and Holland Scholar. Mitjavila is running for IUSA as the presidential candidate on the YOUniversity ticket.

He said that he and some representatives came to the Diversity Coalition meeting because of the importance of the issue on campus.

The Diversity Coalition also discussed the possible date for the rally.

Some people debated if they should partner with the IU on Strike protesters on April 11-12, which are also the dates of the IU Board of Trustees meeting.

Diversity Coalition members said they will send out a survey to determine the best date.