Style File: Get inspired by New York Fashion Week

New York Fashion Week is in full swing and it seems even more insane and fast-paced than ever — or maybe it’s just the abundance of tweeting, Instagram-ing, Vine-ing and blogging happening at every show.

I personally can’t keep up with my respective feeds. I follow everyone from blogger Elin Kling to Russian fashion editor Miroslava Duma, and expertly filtered photos keep coming by the second.

In addition to the amazing looks on the runways of Narciso Rodriguez, Rodarte and Derek Lam, the street style scene at fashion week is an event to watch in and of itself.
Photographers like Tommy Ton and Tamu McPherson capture the fantastic, fashion-forward outfits styled by editors, models and fashion plates from all around the world. It’s fashion overload for sure, but also endlessly inspiring. Some girls pile on the patterns and embellishments while others keep it clean and simple in black and white. There’s something for everyone.

I love seeing who braves the elements by wearing life-threateningly high heels, modified ski masks or head-to-toe fur to combat the Nemo blizzard. These women don’t mess around. But what I enjoy even more is discovering street style trends I can actually wear here on campus. Despite the unparalleled fabulousness of Lucite heeled booties, practicality takes priority in most of our lives.

Trend 1: The beanie. Not only was every look at BCBG Max Azria topped off with a slouchy black beanie for an effortless touch, the style was also spotted on scores of girls trudging through ice between shows. While black is always a chic option, popular colors included hot pink, cobalt and bright red. Natalie Joos wore a baby pink beanie with an embroidered “J,” making a strong case for preppy monograms. A bright beanie is the perfect topper to any cold weather ensemble, adding punch to an all-black look or playing against other colors and patterns.

Trend 2: Mirrored sunglasses. Leave it to the season’s trendsetters to take something tacky and make it undoubtedly cool. From classic aviators to retro Wayfarer styles, mirrored sunglasses add an unexpected and graphic edge to ripped jeans, rugged boots and silk dresses alike. Even model Hanne Gaby Odiele’s purple mirrored ski goggles felt appropriate. Bonus tip: While I’m currently wishing for a pair of perfect red-orange mirrored Ray-Ban sunglasses, I spotted similar lenses at Target just yesterday for a fraction of the price.

Trend 3: Bold outerwear. Swap your black puffy coat for a fresh winter update, like a bright wool pea coat, faux fur jacket or graphic pattern. Hanneli Mustaparta let her neon green Acne coat take center stage by pairing it with an otherwise-neutral ensemble. Alessandra Codinha’s ultra-fluffy gray lamb’s fur jacket was the perfect mix of timeless and quirky, and more than a few editors donned the covetable striped wool coat from Celine’s Fall 2012 collection. Whatever you do, make sure your coat has a simple shape and clean lines to avoid costume territory. That’s best left to Anna Dello Russo.