Status of Black Males commission looks to ease long-term issues

Health fairs and outreach projects are just a few examples of how a Bloomington minority commission is striving to make a difference in the community.

Members of the Bloomington Commission on the Status of Black Males aims to alleviate long-term problems in the African American male population.

“One of the reasons why it was started was because the city wanted to have a voice that could be a catalyst for change in the community,” said Greg Tourner, chair of the commission.

The commission was established in 2001 in light of challenges that face African American men more than other ethnic groups in the city, said Craig Brenner, special projects coordinator in the Community and Family Resources Department.

Commission meetings are open to the public and convene once a month. The next meeting is Feb. 13.

The commission consists of seven members and is sponsored by the Bloomington Community and Family Resources Department.

Brenner said some of the issues facing the African American community in comparison to other ethnic groups include higher crime involvement, lower life expectancy, higher expulsion rates in schools and higher unemployment rates.

“The city recognized that local commissions could be instrumental in encouraging the development of programs that focused on long-range mediation,” Tourner said.

The commission has had health fairs and town hall meetings and connected with local schools.

“We approached that issue by offering two health fairs here in Bloomington where you could get tested for high blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol, HIV or hepatitis C,” Tourner said. “Then, for the purposes of high blood pressure or cholesterol, you could come back in April, to see if there were any changes.”

David Hummons, one of the commission members, said the commission dealt with student discipline in Monroe County schools due to what he described as a disproportionate number of expulsions in the African American male population.

“Over time, I think we did have some influence over the student discipline code in the school systems and looking into more transparency and the overall school climate,” Hummons said.     

The commission also has partnered with Big Brothers and Big Sisters of South Central Indiana to provide schools with more mentors.

Tourner said providing African American male mentors builds stronger relationships with young African American boys in the program with more permanent effects.

“Everyone knows a good mentor takes a kid a long way,” Brenner said.

In order to raise more awareness and provide recognition, the commission is seeking nominations for the Outstanding Black Male Leaders of Tomorrow Awards.

“It’s to shine the spotlight on people that are going in the right direction, encourage them and award them at the Black History Month gala,” Brenner said.

While there are no vacancies currently, the city accepts rolling applications to serve on the commission.

“There’s no question about the fact that black males and young black males coming up through the pipelines, so to speak, are at risk,” Hummons said.
“None of these are huge, earth-shaking projects involving hundreds of people, but they are making an effort,” Brenner said.