arts iu auditorium

Peter Pan performed at Auditorium

Peter Pan at the IU Auditorium Carousel

Children dressed as Peter, Tinkerbell and Captain Hook filled the IU Auditorium Tuesday night as the musical “Peter Pan” began its two-night run on campus.

Starring famed Broadway actress Cathy Rigby as the boy who won’t grow up,
“Peter Pan” follows the storyline made famous by the James M. Barrie story and the Disney animated film. Peter flies into Wendy’s bedroom, Michael and John one night and whisks them off on a trip to Neverland, where children never grow up and parents are absent.

For the musical, a new score and musical numbers were written to accompany the storyline. Songs like “I Gotta Crow,” “I’m Flying” and “I Won’t Grow Up” add to the story and the carefree life Peter and the Lost Boys lead.

Along with the new songs, the show incorporated dance and aerial stunts. Rigby twirled and flipped through the air while she sang, and a group of Indians performed a dance number to welcome the audience to Neverland, including leaps and death-defying drops.

The audience for the family-friendly musical primarily consisted of parents and grandparents with kids eager to see the show. 

Katie Stephens, 9, from Ellettsville, Ind., came with her grandmother. She said she was excited to see the show and likes coming to see shows at the IU Auditorium.
“It’s a very nice place to see things,” Stephens said. “I want to see some
amazing things, like Peter flying through the air.”

Stephens said Peter Pan is one of her favorite Disney movies and her favorite character is Tinkerbell.

“She’s kind and outgoing,” she said. “I like how she makes things out of stuff you find on the ground.”

Bloomington resident Lisa Lenz came with her three children in tow and said the story has been a family favorite for years.

“My husband and I buy season tickets for the IU Auditorium every year,” Lenz said. “We’re curious about the songs and curious to see if it’s anything like the Disney movie. We like the story, and the kids are really excited about seeing it.”