arts iu auditorium

Peter Pan flies to IU Auditorium

At 7 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, the Broadway musical “Peter Pan” will fly through the IU Auditorium.

Starring Cathy Rigby as Peter, the show follows the story of a boy who never grew up and his adventures with the Darling children in his home, Neverland. The show stays true to the storyline of the J. M. Barie book and Disney film, with an original score made for the musical.

Cast member Kim Crosby has played Mrs. Darling and grown-up Wendy in the show for the last four years. In a phone interview, Crosby shared how she joined the musical’s cast, what it’s like play a mother and what an honor it is to work alongside Cathy Rigby.

IDS How did you become a part of the “Peter Pan” cast?

CROSBY I was living in Springfield, Miss. Cathy and her husband (Tom Mason) were staging the show in Missouri. Word came that she was casting locally. We got a call, and they asked if my husband and I would be part of it. My husband played Captain Hook, and I played Mrs. Darling for two summers in Branson, Miss.

IDS Describe your role in the play.

CROSBY I play Mrs. Darling, and she is the mother of the children. She has caught sight of Peter Pan before, and she explains having seen Peter and what has happened. She’s fearful that he might be returning. She gets the ball rolling story-wise. She and her husband have to go to dinner, and once they leave, that’s when Peter comes. She doesn’t see the children for a couple years after that. When we see her again is in the last scene when the children return. She’s convinced they’ll never return, so it’s a happy homecoming.

I also play an older Wendy. After the children come home, Peter told Wendy before he left that he would come for her to help him do the spring cleaning. He doesn’t come back for many years. She’s grown older and he’s stayed the same. It’s poignant when he returns. She’s grown up and has a daughter who’s about her age when she met him. Her daughter goes back to Neverland with Peter. It’s a nice little role. It bookends the entire play.

IDS How does this role compare to other roles you’ve played in the past?

CROSBY I’ve played English women before. I played Eliza Doolittle in “My Fair Lady.” But I’ve never played a mother. Most of the roles I’ve played in the bulk of my career have been ingénues and leading ladies. I am a mother of three children, so I identify with the character in a way I couldn’t have years ago. As an actor, you always want something interesting and essential in any show. It’s nice to have a show where I don’t have to carry the story on my shoulders. It’s a good part, otherwise I wouldn’t still be a part of it.

IDS What do you think audience members will like about the show?

CROSBY The most overwhelming response is “isn’t Cathy amazing?” She is a rare specimen of a performer. She’s incredibly agile. The greatest reaction is to her charm and skill and acting ability. She’ll far exceed expectations. It’s wonderful to see a beautifully crafted stage musical. There are many book scenes, a wonderful script and surprisingly touching moments. People will be surprised at how taken they are with the heart of the piece. It speaks a lot of truth. People are obsessed with youth, and Peter holds on to that at the expense of his happiness. He doesn’t want to grow up, but the rest of the world does. It’s wonderfully humorous. There’s terrific dancing and a talented cast of actors and singer/dancers. It hits the ground running, and there isn’t a lull in the action at all. Hopefully people will be surprised at how entertained they are.

Tickers start at $38 for adults and $20 for children and IU students and can be purchased at the IU Auditorium Box Office.