Former IUBB player Dumes faces two additional charges

Former IU basketball player Devan Dumes was charged Monday in Indianapolis with a felony for knowingly receiving a stolen handgun and a misdemeanor for possession of marijuana.

These charges follow six charges filed against Dumes during January that are the result of two separate alleged shooting sprees two days apart in Indianapolis.

Dumes racked up felony criminal recklessness and misdemeanor carrying a handgun without a license charges for allegedly shooting at a house with his brother and 1-year-old nephew inside.

He also faces felony attempted murder, attempted carjacking and theft, and a misdemeanor for carrying a handgun without a license for allegedly shooting a man in the neck during a car sale. The two new charges came after police executed a search warrant at Dumes’s apartment in that case.

On Jan. 9, Dumes fired several shots into a house on the 6600 block of Hazelhatch
Drive, according to court documents.

Naquela Bankston told police that her youngest son’s father, Marvin “Dejuan” Dumes, was vising her home when Marvin Dumes’s brother, Devan, knocked on her front door.
Devan allegedly asked for keys to Marvin’s music recording studio.

Bankston told police something seemed off — Devan’s eyes appeared droopy and portions of his speech sounded incoherent.

Marvin reportedly refused to give Devan keys to the studio and asked him to leave. Devan allegedly started cursing at Marvin. Marvin was holding his 1-year-old son — Devan’s nephew — during Devan’s allegedly expletive-laced rant.

During the verbal exchange between the two brothers, Bankston spotted a handgun on Devan’s right hip. She later told police she feared the conflict would escalate. She reportedly wedged herself between Devan and Marvin and shoved Devan through the open front door, out of the house and toward his car, a gray Range Rover, parked
outside.

Bankston told police Devan opened his driver’s side door, turned toward the house and began firing shots toward Bankston, who was standing in her driveway. Bankston allegedly fell to the ground next to a car in the driveway. She later told police that when she looked at Devan, she saw bullets coming out of the gun and fire coming from the barrel. Bankston told police she remembered hearing 20 shots fired.

According to court documents, Devan emptied the gun, jumped in the driver’s seat of his car and sped away. Marvin allegedly hopped in his car and followed Devan.

Bankston allegedly went inside her house to check on her two children and called 911.
Police were unable to track down Devan or Marvin that night. They later determined that Devan doesn’t have a valid Indiana handgun permit.

On Jan. 11, police responded to Wishard Hosptial in Indianapolis after a man reportedly drove himself to the hospital while talking on his cell phone with his wife after being shot in the neck.

The man, Keith Jones, was taken to surgery immediately after arriving at the hospital, according to court documents. Outside the hospital, police reportedly found a handgun lying on the driver’s seat floor of Jones’s 2011 black Chevrolet Camaro.

Jones’s wife told police he said “Dumes’s boy had shot him” during their conversation while Jones drove himself to the hospital. She told police she believed her husband was referring to Devan.

Police later ran the handgun in Jones’s car and reportedly discovered the handgun was listed as stolen in a separate case.

Three days later, Keith Jones, still in the hospital and unable to speak, reportedly nodded yes when police asked if Devan had shot him.

On Jan. 25, the first day after the shooting that Jones was able to speak, he told police he had run into Devan at Sunset Strip nightclulb. Devan and Jones reportedly discussed sale terms for Jones’s Camaro.

Devan reportedly called Jones in the early morning hours of Jan. 11 to arrange a transaction. At their meeting, Devan allegedly exited a blue Lexus and jumped into
Jones’s Camaro. Within seconds, Devan allegedly pulled out the stolen handgun and shot Jones in the neck.

Devan then allegedly dropped the handgun — which he is charged with stealing from a gun store — on the floor and got out of the Camaro, leaving Jones to drive himself to the hospital.

That same day, when police executed a search warrant at Devan’s apartment in Indianapolis, they allegedly found a cellophane bag with marijuana on Devan’s kitchen counter and in an ashtray on his living room coffee table.

Police also allegedly found a loaded pistol with several bullets lying partially under Devan’s living room couch. Upon running the pistol’s serial number, police learned the gun had been stolen in November 2012 in a separate case.

Dumes was arrested Wednesday for the alleged attempted murder and other events that happened on Jan. 11. He is currently in custody at Marion County Jail.

- Colleen Sikorski