Fire displaces Phi Kappa Psi members

Members of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity have been displaced after a fire  took place at the house Sunday morning.

Efforts to put out the fire resulted in roof damage that has displaced fraternity members who were living in the house, 1200 N. Jordan Ave., said IU Police Department Chief Keith Cash.

Interfraternity Council Vice President of Communications Sean Jordan said the fire is still being investigated, but Cash said there is no reason for IUPD to believe any suspicious activity was involved in the incident. No injuries were reported.

Emergency services received a call at 10:15 a.m. concerning smoke at the house. The fire was contained to an attic area over a common room at the southeast side of the house. Roof damage occurred as firefighters worked to reach the center of the fire.

The damage is forcing members of Phi Psi to move out of the house for several days while repairs are made, Cash said.

“We are working closely with the chapter, their House Corporation Board and Residential Programs and Services to provide as much support to the chapter as we can,” said Michael Goodman, senior assistant director for fraternity and sorority life in IU’s Student Life and Learning office, in an email.

Goodman said more details about the situation will be available in the next few days.
Phi Psi’s chapter lawyer Thomas Dakich said they are currently exploring where to house the undergraduates until repairs are completed and they can safely live in the house.

“We expect to figure it out in the next 24 hours,” Dakich said.