Column: Dunk contest needs superstar aspect

The NBA All-Star game has come and gone, and again we saw a relatively weak dunk contest.

Sure, Terrance Ross got me on my feet applauding his best Vince Carter impersonation, but it was not enough to steal the show.

I don’t have a problem seeing players like Jeremy Evans, Gerald Green and James White in the competition, knowing they are all high-flyers.

But I think I speak for everyone when I say enough of the sideshow that is the dunk contest — put some stars in the event.

This is my official request to soon-to-be Commissioner Adam Silver to put LeBron James, Blake Griffin and Dwight Howard in the dunk contest next year.

Think about a dunk contest with the NBA’s biggest, brightest stars.

No one would leave disappointed after seeing the best dunks from the best NBA players.

On top of James, Griffin and Howard, this year’s winner Ross should be a part of it again with a chance to repeat as champion.

The other two participants should be chosen by the fans from a short list.

On that list, I would put Andre Iguodala, JaVale McGee, Paul George, DeMar DeRozan and Rudy Gay.

I believe a dunk contest with six of those players would not only be the highest rated dunk contest ever, but the overall best contest we’ve ever seen.

Think about the creativity these guys can show off.

We’ve already seen Griffin jump over a car and Howard put on a Superman cape and slam the ball in 5 feet away from the rim.

They probably won’t top that, but those are two of the best dunks in terms of creativity, execution and memorability in the last 10 years.

While this year showed plenty of dunking ability, it lacked the superstar aspect it has needed.

Years have gone by since the first utterances of James being in the dunk contest, and it still hasn’t happened.

Enough is enough.

The 3-point contest usually knows how to recruit the stars of the game.

This year, we saw participants like Kyrie Irving and Paul George, two up-and-coming superstars in the NBA.

And think about when the stars do participate in the dunk contest.

We’ve seen some of the most memorable dunks from the likes of Michael Jordan, Vince Carter and Dominique Wilkins.

That should trigger a trend of superstars being the face of the only skills competition the fans truly care about.

So I’m calling out James, Howard, Griffin and any other superstar who wants to throw down some of the most unforgettable dunks in history to put their names into the hat for next year’s competition.

It would get every casual fan excited for a showcase like no other.

On top of that, it would be more of a spectacle than the All-Star Game itself.

If this happens, next year’s dunk contest will put this year’s contest to shame and raise the bar for years to come.

­— zstavis@indiana.edu