politics

Bloomington Commission for Human Rights recognizes local attorney, activist

Gender equality, treatment of prisoners and exploitation of workers are all issues a local commission is attempting to address in the pursuit of human rights.  

Recently, the Bloomington Commission for Human Rights awarded local attorney and activist, Guy Loftman, the 12th annual Human Rights Award.  

“We look for someone who has shown above and beyond the call of duty for human rights,” chairman of the commission Byron Bangert said.

Loftman is an active member of the Monroe County branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

He worked with the organization to study racial biases in arrests and sentencing in Monroe County.

Bangert said Loftman’s efforts were recognized by the American Bar Association, which called his study with the NAACP “a national model for community relations.”
“Guy’s commitment to racial and gender equality, to peace efforts and to voting rights, among others, makes him more than deserving of this award,” commission member Carolyn Calloway-Thomas said in a news release.

Loftman said as a citizen, he has always valued advocating for human rights and reflects that in his day-to-day activities.

Loftman is also an IU alumnus and served as IU Student Association president during his time as an undergraduate.

“I found women’s rights to be a big concern at that time,” Loftman said.

Now, Loftman has accomplished work concerning race relations as part of the NAACP executive committee, as well as gay and women’s rights.

“I was very honored,” Loftman said about winning the annual Human Rights Award for 2012.

In addition to granting the annual award, the commission meets on a monthly basis to address local human rights issues.

It also address specific issues such as the treatment of residents of the jail or human trafficking, he said.

The Hate Incident Report, which details data and reports regarding hate incidents in Bloomington annually, is also the work of the BHRC.

The commission also sponsors an annual art essay contest that allows students to write an essay or produce a piece of art that is related to a preselected human rights theme.

Bangert said through these various activities, including the annual Human Rights Award, the commission aims to foster more of a community interest in human rights.

“We hope that it encourages people who know about the award or know the persons who receive the award to be more interested in or committed to the pursuit of human rights,” Bangert said.