Women’s tennis to play three duals over weekend

spWTennis Carousel

After an opening weekend in which the IU women’s tennis team defeated both Miami (Ohio) and Cincinnati 7-0, the No. 50 Hoosiers will play three dual matches this weekend at the IU Tennis Center.

The team will face Marquette 11 a.m. Saturday. The women will then compete against Western Michigan at 11 a.m. and Butler at 4 p.m. Sunday.

While IU has not competed against any of the three opponents in a dual match this school year, the women’s tennis team is familiar with Marquette and Western Michigan after playing against them in tournaments.

IU competed against Marquette and Western Michigan in the Western Michigan University Super Challenge last November. In their head-to-head matches, the Hoosiers were 2-0 in both singles and doubles against the Golden Eagles.

IU split its two singles matches against Western Michigan in the tournament.

IU Coach Lin Loring said Western Michigan usually finishes in the top two teams in the Mid-American Conference and the best MAC schools are capable of beating Big Ten schools.

Two weeks ago, Marquette played in the four-team adidas IU Winter Invitational. IU posted a 2-0 record in singles and was 6-0 in doubles play against MU.

“We have notes from playing them last year and playing them this year so that will help prepare us,” Loring said. “We’ll know what their tendencies are in singles and doubles and we’ll prepare accordingly.”

Sophomore Carolyn Chupa said IU will prepare the same way as when the team played Marquette and Western Michigan in tournaments earlier in the season. However, she said the team’s mindset will be different this time around since it is playing dual matches instead of a tournament.

IU also has a connection to Butler, who Loring said is the weakest of the Hoosiers’ three opponents on paper. Junior Gabrielle Rubenstein transferred to IU in August after playing for Butler in her first two years of college.

None of IU’s opponents are ranked as a team and the Hoosiers will not face any ranked singles players or doubles combinations. IU’s pair of players from France, junior Sophie Garre and senior Leslie Hureau, are No. 31 in doubles.

Marquette is 1-1 in dual matches this season after a 5-2 loss to Minnesota and a 6-1 win against Montana.

Similar to IU, Western Michigan is off to a 2-0 start after a pair of 7-0 victories against Dayton and Valpariaso.

Butler is 1-0 after a 5-2 win against Dayton.

Chupa said she was out last weekend with the flu and there are a few minor injuries with which players are dealing. However, Loring said the ailments will not set the team back.

“Between the flu and the stomach virus going around, that could all change by Saturday, but right now everybody is healthy,” Loring said.

He said IU’s biggest challenge this weekend will be playing three matches in two days. Even though the Hoosiers are returning to full strength, he said the team has “pretty good depth” in case a player aggravates a previous injury or becomes ill.

“Hopefully we’ll be able to rotate some people around if anybody does get a little nagging injury or if anyone isn’t feeing well,” Loring said. “Western Michigan is playing a match Saturday before they come here so I think there will be a level playing field.”