Women’s tennis still dominating with Loring

Defending your home court may sound like a cliché, but it is important in sports.

The women’s tennis team did just that last weekend.

The Hoosiers defeated Marquette, Western Michigan and Butler all 7-0 at the IU Tennis Center.

IU did not lose a set all weekend and completely controlled every match.

There were impressive performances from senior Jithime Jayawickrema and juniors Sophie Garre and Gabrielle Rubenstein, who didn’t drop a single game from their Butler opponents.

Also in the doubles category, sophomores Alecia Kauss and Shannon Murdy did not lose a game in their Butler win.

When a team plays this well at full strength, confidence flows to all of the members of that team.

If you are IU Coach Lin Loring, dominating victories like these are what you like to see.

Loring has put together a good squad top to bottom that has a lot of sophomores and a few upperclassmen.

Currently, the Hoosiers are ranked No. 50 in the country. 

These three wins give IU its fifth consecutive victory.

The other two wins came from earlier matches against Miami (Ohio) and Cincinnati.

Success in these nonconference games is crucial for setting the team up for the Big Ten road ahead. 

Three Big Ten teams are ranked in the top 25.

The Hoosiers had a difficult time against Big Ten teams last year. They only won four of a possible 11 matches, including losing their last five matches of the season.

They lost in the second round of the Big Ten Tournament and were knocked out of playing in the NCAA Tournament.

IU will need to play better in conference this season.

It’s crucial for the team to have success in conference, so that its chances of making the tourney increase.

The good news is that Loring is known for success and can take his squad to the top.

Through 35 seasons at IU, Loring has the most Division I wins at 777.

These five wins this season have put him at 782.

During his time as head coach, Loring has won 16 Big Ten titles and had 104 consecutive victories against Big Ten opponents 1978-1985.

He has also had 12 undefeated seasons and 27 NCAA tournament appearances.

Through those appearances, Loring has been a part of one national championship team, two singles championships and one doubles championship.

Loring has helped set the benchmark for women’s tennis coaches around the country.
The Hoosiers will certainly excel with Loring as their coach.

IU is already off to a good start, and that needs to continue if the Hoosiers want to make it in the NCAA tournament.

But for now, IU needs to take it match by match and continue to play well as a team.

­— amsiegal@indiana.edu