sports water polo

Water polo goes 1-3 in Michigan Kick-Off

The No. 14 IU water polo team is 1-3 after its opening weekend of play in the Michigan Kick-Off. The Hoosiers fell to No. 9 San Jose State 12-10 early Saturday then rebounded to take down Colorado State 10-7. IU lost both matches Sunday, falling 11-5 to No. 7 San Diego State and 8-4 to No. 3 UCLA.

Letting go of early leads was the theme of the weekend for the Hoosiers. In its three losses, IU held a combined 8-7 scoring advantage in the first quarter but was outscored 24-11 combined in the other three periods.

Senior attacker Jakie Köhli returned after sitting out the entire 2012 season due to shoulder surgery. She scored four goals versus San Jose State, moving her into fourth all-time for most career goals at IU. After adding three more scores on Sunday, Köhli is 19 shy of third place Brooke Zimmerman’s mark of 206.

Two freshmen started Saturday for IU, and both made an impact in their debuts.

Center Candyce Schroeder scored her first career goal against San Jose State and added two more versus Colorado State and UCLA. Goalkeeper Jessica Gaudreault made her first collegiate start in replacing the IU great Cassie Wyckoff. Gaudreault made 26 saves on the weekend while picking up her first career win. She started each contest and played every half except for the second against San Diego State, when fellow freshman Mary Campbell took to the net.

Köhli’s seven goals led the team for the weekend. Sophomore Rebecca Gerrity was right behind Köhli with six scores, while junior Shae Fournier added five, sophomore Shelby Taylor netted three, sophomore Colleen McNaught scored twice and sophomore Shelley St. Omer Roy, sophomore Summer Creighton and junior defender Amanda Redfern each recorded one.

IU will have next weekend off before traveling to Davis, Calif., to face No. 12 UC Davis Feb. 1. Then on Feb. 2 and 3, the Hoosiers will be in Palo Alto, Calif. for the Stanford Invitational.

-Trent Stutzman