sports men's soccer

Soffner to play for New England

Men's Soccer Championship

INDIANAPOLIS — With the 36th pick in the 2013 Major League Soccer SuperDraft Thursday afternoon, the New England Revolution selected former IU goalkeeper Luis Soffner for its team.

As the routine went, the draftee walked up to a lectern and gave an acceptance speech to the crowd.

Soffner’s case was different. He was not even at the draft. Instead, he chose to watch with his girlfriend from a computer at her home in Bloomington.

He waited about three hours after the draft started for his name to be called.

“A lot of people were telling me that goalkeepers very rarely go in the first two rounds of the SuperDraft,” Soffner said. “I didn’t need to go all the way up there and be disappointed, so I just decided to stay home and watch it.”

In the past three MLS SuperDrafts, only four goalkeepers were picked in the first two rounds.

On Thursday, it took 32 picks before Montreal Impact chose Cleveland State goalkeeper Brad Stuver, the first goalkeeper selected.

When that occurred, Soffner said he received a text message from his agent expressing optimism that he would soon be picked. If it did not happen Thursday, he would have to wait until Tuesday for his name to be called in a supplemental draft.

Soon after Seattle Sounders F.C. selected Brown defender Dylan Remick as pick No. 35, Soffner’s cell phone started to ring.

It was Revolution Coach Jay Heaps.

“It was surreal, an unbelievable feeling,” Soffner said.

The computer screen switched to Heaps, and Soffner watched his new coach speak to him through an international broadcast moments before the actual announcement.

“It was really exciting and fun to see him talking to me,” Soffner said. “It was something I’ll never forget.”

When he got off the phone, Soffner said he immediately hugged and kissed his girlfriend. He proceeded to call his family, which was surprised yet pleased that he had been chosen in the MLS SuperDraft.

He was the second and only other goalie chosen in the draft.

“I was absolutely excited and thrilled,” Soffner said. “I was up jumping around and definitely having a good time with it.”

Soffner became the 41st Hoosier to ever be drafted to the MLS and will join fellow IU alumni Lee Nguyen and Kevin Alston to New England’s roster.

Goalkeeper and captain Matt Reis is also on the team. The 37-year-old has appeared in 242 caps for the Revolution and has been a member of the club since 2003. He is also the team’s all-time saves and wins leader.

Now the third goalkeeper on the roster, Soffner said he is looking forward to learning from the veteran while maintaining a competitive edge.

“I’m going to do my best to work my way up and get some playing time,” Soffner said. “I don’t want to be a training player. I want to be someone who works my way into the starting lineup.”

Soffner said he plans to return to his hometown St. Louis on Friday to spend time with his family and begin training for the upcoming season.

The Revolution play their first match on March 9 against the Chicago Fire.

Though playing time will not be guaranteed, Soffner said he is grateful for the opportunity New England has given him.

After all, he did watch his own selection on a computer from a couch.

“To be picked in the SuperDraft as a goalkeeper is unbelievable,” Soffner said. “It’s honestly an absolute dream come true for me.”