Shoe sales support global charities

Hannah Smith returned home from teaching English in China in 2010 and began what would become BANGS shoe company.

Inspired by the olive-green, army-style shoes worn by native Chinese construction and field workers, Smith founded a “social enterprise,” or a for-profit organization, of shoes.

IU junior Meredith Katz is BANGS’ campus leader at IU and said her definition of for-profit is “a company whose goal is to maximize profits, as well as to maximize improvements of our world.”

“This improvement can be environmental, economical, related to human well-being, truly anything,” Katz said. “Think about it as combining a for-profit organization with a non-profit’s goals.”

BANGS shoe company sells blue, green, khaki and red shoes. The colors represent different non-profit causes.

“Part of the proceeds from each sale are donated to one of the four non-profit organizations,” Katz said. “Blue shoes support clean water, green shoes support development initiatives, khaki shoes aid in alleviating hunger, and red helps in disaster aid.”

The four companies that receive the benefits of this partnership are Drop in the Bucket, SOUL Foundation, CHOICE Humanitarian and Global DIRT.

Katz began working with BANGS through a family connection.

As the company’s representative at IU, she’s responsible for spreading awareness of BANGS across campus by working with other student organizations to hold promotion events and working with Bloomington stores to sell the company’s shoes.

Katz works closely with the Kelley Institute of Social Impact, which seeks to involve students with social entrepreneurship and economic development work.

“I inform IU’s students about ways to make a sustainable change, and, by just simply one purchase of BANGS shoes, one is making a difference,” Katz said. “I am showing IU students that there is more to this shoe than appears to the eye. By wearing these shoes, you show your desire to alleviate harsh global issues by standing with BANGS to help others.”   

In just three years, Smith’s idea has become something bigger, Katz said.

“My favorite part of the job is honestly speaking to people about BANGS,” she said. “Whenever people see and ask about my own pair of BANGS shoes, I instantly smile and explain why I wear these shoes.”

This company stands not only to make a profit but also to promote social awareness of those in need and show people they can make a big difference by simply buying a pair of shoes, Katz said. She said BANGS has already positively affected her life.

“It is companies like BANGS today who are erasing the line dividing non-profits and for-profit businesses and combining it into one,” she said.“BANGS Shoes shows me, personally, there is a way that I can have a career that can truly make a global difference.”

Katz is currently working to build a larger team on IU’s campus. She said she feels the company’s presence at IU will continue to grow.

“With IU’s globally-conscious culture, I have faith that BANGS will soon be a popular trend here at school,” Katz said.