New year means new memberships for some local gyms

Area exercise facilities offer discounts to attract customers

ciResolutions

Bloomington gyms have experienced a rise in memberships as a result of the new year.

Though many residents might habitually stay in shape by running or playing sports, the new year brings plenty of opportunities for a fresh start in staying active.

The variety of workout facilities in Bloomington affords residents the opportunity to put New Year’s resolutions to the test.

Anytime Fitness, 889 S. College Mall Road, one of Bloomington’s 24-hour gyms, is offering current members their first month free if they extend their membership for another full year this January.

“Our membership has spiked up a lot,” Anytime Fitness Manager Danielle Vaal said. “It went up about 70 percent more from last month.”

Vaal, who has worked at the gym since August, said the increase comes from people’s desire get in shape. She also said the new year serves as a good time to start.

To accumulate customers, many gyms offer discounted membership fees and services. Not all Bloomington gyms, however, are offering discounts or specials to ring in the new year.

Iron Pit Gym, 122 W. Miller Drive, another 24-hour facility in Bloomington, doesn’t offer any promotions for the new year. Iron Pit co-owner Matt Andrews said January still brings in one of the largest amounts of membership revenue.

“We see tons of people come in even without any special membership rate,” Andrews said. “It all has to do with the time of year.”

Andrews, an IU alumnus who graduated from the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation, now known as the School of Public Health, in 2006, founded the gym with Doug Ballard in 1995.

Andrews said, compared to other times of the year, the gym at the beginning of the year is the most active, while it tends to be slower in the middle of the year in June and July.

IU senior Ellie Birch, who frequents Iron Pit Gym, said she has incorporated physical activity into her New Year’s resolution.

“Last year, I started running more, but this year my resolution is to start lifting more weights,” Birch said.