Big Cheeze finds success

At 11 p.m. on a Tuesday, the large, white trailer is backed into a corner parking spot directly across the street from Kilroy’s Dunnkirk.

A small generator starts, and the lights come on. The Big Cheeze is open for business.

Chad Sutor and Joe Morton, two friends who grew up together in Bloomington and started the grilled cheese food truck eight months ago, begin preparing to serve their late-night snacks.

Sutor sets up his iPad-turned cash register while Morton checks temperatures of the propane-fueled deep fryers and cooktop.

The truck’s menu puts a creative spin on a familiar favorite.

The popular “Momma Smacker” consists of smoked gouda, pulled pork and caramelized onions. The “C.B.R.” combines cheddar, chicken, grilled cheese and a ranch dipping sauce.

Sutor and Morton entered the food truck business when they faced graduation. Sutor graduated last spring from Purdue University with a degree in selling and sales management, and Morton graduated from IU in 2011 with a degree in political science.

After starting in West Lafayette in February while Sutor finished his degree, they moved their operation to Bloomington in June.

“The next thing you know we’re on a trailer slinging grilled cheese to drunk kids outside of bars,” Morton said. “The idea of being an entrepreneur is what really entices me.”