sports men's soccer

Fifth-year seniors' decision to redshirt pays dividends

Four of the seven juniors on the IU men’s soccer team could have moved on after the team lost in last year’s NCAA Sweet 16 against North Carolina. Instead, forward Tim
Wylie, midfielder Joe Tolen and goalkeepers Luis Soffner and Nate Mitchell decided to all return for the 2012-2013 campaign, their fifth season, after redshirting in 2008.

Those seniors now have a chance to win the national championship, as the Hoosiers (14-5-3) play in the College Cup this weekend.

“The main reason I came back was to do what we’re doing,” Wylie said. “It wasn’t school. It was a no-brainer for me. I could’ve graduated, but I liked our chances, and I wouldn’t want to miss it.”

Redshirt senior midfielder Joe Tolen said he knew after St. John’s eliminated the Hoosiers from the NCAA Tournament in 2008 he wanted to fulfill all four of his years of eligibility.

“What it came down to was I didn’t want to leave here and think, ‘What could’ve been?’” Tolen said. “I still had a year of eligibility. Coach wanted me to come back, and I didn’t want to leave the door open. I wanted to make sure I took full advantage of the opportunity to play here at IU. I’m glad I did.”

IU Coach Todd Yeagley said Mitchell has influenced Soffner’s performance.
Though Mitchell has not played this season, Yeagley said he has continued to have a positive influence on the team.

“Nate’s played in some big games for us,” Yeagley said. “Luis is a product of those right behind him. We always say you’ve got to have several good goalkeepers. Luis has stepped up largely because of some things that guys have done to push him. I know he appreciates and knows that. There’s a real close bond between those guys. They support each other and push each other.”

Wylie, a Fort Wayne native, scored the first goal of his career last season against Old Dominion in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

He played the last few minutes of the Hoosiers’ 1-0 win against the Tar Heels on Nov. 30 as they sealed their first College Cup berth since 2004.

“It was a great feeling,” he said. “The fact that at such a big moment, the team and the coaches had that trust in me to go close the game meant a lot. It couldn’t have came at a better game. It was great to be on the field.”

The Hoosiers’ season could have ended with a loss in any of the last three games. Such is life in the NCAA Tournament.

Tolen said reality played a role in the team’s pregame routine before their first two tournament victories and will continue to this weekend.

“We meet in the locker room before the game, and we say, ‘We don’t want it to end here,’” Tolen said. “We know we have the talent to really make a run for it.”