The week in fashion: angels, allergies and sample sales

Nothing says “Happy Holidays” like the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show.

Taping for the annual show began Thursday night in preparation for its televised December premiere.

With performances by Justin Bieber, Rihanna and Bruno Mars, this show has the potential to be quite the extravaganza.

Reactions to top model Karlie Kloss’ new bob and a rumor about the use of real snake eyes in some elaborate ensembles caused a mini media frenzy.

The fashion giant confirmed they would use fake snake eyes, to the pleasure of anxious viewers everywhere.

Where would one even buy real snake eyes?

In the most overlooked story this season, the staff at Victoria’s Secret may have saved the U.S. National Guard in their post-Hurricane Sandy hullaballoo.

Fashion is often regarded as a cold industry, but Victoria’s Secret proved they are truly angelic.

Victoria’s Secret lent the National Guard five massive generators brought in for the fashion show to make sure the National Guard building was operational again.

The lingerie company worked through the night to make sure the National Guard was connected to the Internet and functioning well enough to supply aid to those in need.

Plus, Victoria’s Secret used the giant venue for presenting their famed fashion show to set up camp for U.S. Army and Air Force hurricane relief just days before filming.

It seems their models wear those wings for a reason.

In other news, the European Union created a buzz with talk of banning production of the perfume Chanel No. 5.

The iconic eau de parfum uses tree moss to achieve its timeless scent. Policy makers are concerned about the 1-3 percent of the population that could be allergic to such natural ingredients.

Now, I’m not a doctor, but I’m pretty sure using citrus zest or natural mosses to create a perfume is healthier and more environmentally friendly than using some lab-created chemical no one can pronounce.

Some people have peanut allergies, so why can’t they ban the production of those weird flavored Reese’s chapsticks?

My favorite fashion highlight this week comes all the way from New York’s SoHo neighborhood. People passing by the Alexander Wang sample sale confused the long line for voting lines.

In the fashionistas’ defense, buying on-sale clothing from an American designer is almost as patriotic as voting.

OK, so not really, but I’m sure they snagged some incredible pieces for incredible prices.

For that, they should be commended.  

­— mwalschl@indiana.edu