student life

Sex educators question Trojan study

IU failed to climax with this year’s Trojan Sexual Health Report Card.

The study ranked IU 42nd in sexual health, up from 63rd last year, but a few spots down from 39th in 2010.

Sexual health educators at IU, however, said the results should be taken with a grain of salt.

“We dropped in 2011 because we actually never had the opportunity to complete last year’s survey due to a miscommunication,” said Kathryn Brown, certified sex educator with the IU Health Center. “We found out from the folks at the surveying organization that they did their own research, such as it was, without any input from any IU Health Center staff.”

Cathlene Hansen, director of health and wellness education at IU, said it was more than a miscommunication.

“I honestly believe they never read or didn’t understand our data, or they didn’t care to include the substance of the information in our program evaluation,” she said.
After last year’s survey was released, lead researcher Bert Sperling told the IDS IU’s low ranking was because “other schools are improving a bunch.”

Each school was assessed in specific categories, including condom and contraception availability, sexually transmitted infection testing, sexual assault services and program outreach.

“We have had free condom availability in the health center for years,” Brown said. “Way longer than the Trojan survey has been in the
process.”

Hansen said she would guess the Health Center hands out at least 10,000 condoms each semester.

Brown and Hansen listed many additional resources offered at IU, including the Sexual Assault Crisis Service, Sexploration Week, a medical center reaching more than 17,000 students in one semester and more than 300 programs reaching 10,000 students annually.

“How can I possibly be confident in this ranking when it doesn’t begin to accurately reflect all that is done regarding sexual health?” Brown said.

According to a Trojan press release. “Researchers collected extensive data via student health center representatives, along with follow-up research on those centers.”

Hansen and Brown said they are confident the low ranking is not reflective of the sexual health atmosphere at IU.

“I feel great about the state of sexual health at IU,” Brown said. “I would like students at IU to know that the Health Center is the place they should go for their medical concerns about sexual health. They will be taken care of by experienced, sensitive medical professionals.”